Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
I have an 05 EX 4wd and it is my dream car!
On a recent trip I lost all clutch pressure.. It was fun to get it home.

On further inspection it appears one of the bolts popped off a plate on the master cylinder? As far as I know it is the original Honda master cylinder. and I have had this car for 6 years.

I live in a rural place in Hawaii, and the dealer is telling me it will take 2 weeks to fix it..

My questions:
How difficult is this to do myself? Replacing the clutch master cylinder.
Are there any reference documents you can recommend to me.. I would buy a book but it does not appear Haynes makes one for the element.

Fuel line Wire Auto part
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did the head actually break off the screw or did it just vibrate out? If it fell out, you may be able to just get a new screw in there and bleed it.

If it is actually broken, then yeah.. replacing it shouldn't be too bad. Just take your time. Definitely bench bleed the clutch like Island E says. It looks like it it just a matter of disconnecting the pedal, disconnecting the hydraulic line and then removing the nuts screwed on to the studs that penetrate the interior firewall. Then it is the reverse to put it back together. Except you will need a buddy to help you bleed the line when this is done. Someone correct me if I missed anything.

This shouldn't take more than 2 hours (worst case scenario). Maybe 3-4 if you are really new to wrenching.

On a side note, I found this thread http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-74980.html

About halfway down, user Ben Dover (hehe) starts talking about the same problem you experienced and many other chime in with the same experiences. It kind of sounds like a design problem on Honda's part because it seems common.

How did the clutch feel before it popped a screw? Did you ever have to force it?

If I were you and had to replace the master cylinder, I would remove one of the screws, go to the hardware store and match it to some grade 10.9 bolts (if they are metric, grade 8 if they are standard) and replace all three bolts with the new hardware.

Some of the best advice someone gave me when I first started working on cars was, "If someone else has done it, there is no reason you cannot do it". Just do your homework and jump in there! Good luck

I spent my honeymoon in Kauai earlier this year. Hawaii was the most beautiful place I have ever been. Wish I was close enough to help you out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lasemase72 and Island E I am pretty sure I am going to do it myself, thanks for the encouragement.

I was driving up to Princeville, and while I was downshifting on a hill I heard a pop and then a little bit later the clutch just went to the floor. I got it home shifting with the gas pedal... a fun challenge at stoplights.

After reading the posts from lasemase72 's search, I can definitely relate. My clutch has been super squeaky, when I pushed it in.

Do you guys have a preferred online vendor for Honda parts, If I am going to order them, I would like to get OEM.

hondapartscheap
carid

Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
For OEM stuff I always went with majestichonda.com

They're out in Rhode Island, but ship everywhere.

You might be able to print out and take their price for a new cylinder to your local dealer and see if they will match the price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Had the exact same screw shear off mine as well. I had a fun time as I installed a $65 autozone part and the seal failed on it (may have been my fault) so Honda replaced it for $450. As far as I know my failed cylinder was an OEM cylinder.

Definitely doable if tech inclined.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

Majestic looks like it is a great deal for OEM!

Has anyone ordered parts from RockAuto ? It appears to be even cheaper.. enough to justify overnight shipping, though they may not be oem

I am pretty excited to have my element back!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so it is fixed! Thank you everyone for your input!

I only changed the master cylinder, the slave cylinder is between the engine and the radiator, and I did not have the patience. it was still working too.

It took me way longer than I think it should have, but a big part of it was having to constantly go to home depot to get additional tools.:)

I took out the battery and the air filter housing.

That bleeder valve is very very hard to get to if you have big hands, because it is in a tight spot between the motor and the fan.

The biggest saver in my opinion was this tool the bottle with a tube in it.. made the bleeding proccess super easy.
Plastic bottle Water bottle Litter Waste Soil

here is a picture of the old Master:
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the exact same thing happen, TWICE. The first time I replaced the broken screw with something similar. The second time I replaced all 3 screws with grade 8 hex bolts.

It's been going strong ever since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts