Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys its great to find this forum.
The car is a Honda Element '05 manual 5 speed. 88k on the odometer. All standard maintenance performed and never touched clutch,etc. clutch fluid level is ok.
Today when i got into the car i could not go into gear once it was started(fine when its off). i figured something with the clutch and got it started in first and got to my first appointment. I had to clutch-less shift on the way there. Turned the car off there and went in. out a few mins later. start the car and no problem putting into gear. I continue not to have any problems until i get home about 1 hour later.
About 2-3 hours later go to get in the car. same problem but slightly better. will barely go into second and hard to get between gears.

I'm hoping its just a bubble in the system. i plan on starting by doing a bleed and going from there. I find it odd that the problem is intermittent. just curious if you guys had any other input.

thank you
marcin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

a small update.
clutch is not making any funny noises when depressed.
i checked the amount of travel at the arm that is on the outside of the tranny and its about .5inches. Would really really appreciate it if anyone can confirm this as normal travel. this would let me quickly know if the problem is before or after that point.

thank you
marcin

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles.:-(

I don't have anything to offer here except a bump.

This sounds like a good question for one of the techs to answer. I have a MT as well so it would be nice to know what kinds of possible issues can pop up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Based on past experience with other vehicles, it sounds like failing hydraulics. Could be the Master Cylinder (attached to the pedal), or the slave. Are ya leaking fluid anywhere?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks guys for the thoughts. i bled the clutch today and on the first pump the fluid looked quite dirty and contaminated. After a good amount of bleeding, tightened everything back up and the problem has gone away and it shifts well. I am hoping that it wont come back but will keep updated if it does.

thanks
marcin

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
thanks guys for the thoughts. i bled the clutch today and on the first pump the fluid looked quite dirty and contaminated. After a good amount of bleeding, tightened everything back up and the problem has gone away and it shifts well. I am hoping that it wont come back but will keep updated if it does.
yup...sounds like a fluid issue (which you sorta diagnosed right away). It is best to replace the fluid and bleed the system every 2-3 years. (Just like the brake system.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

well, i have an update. After bleeding the problem came back pretty quickly after about 1.5 days. This time it is worse and more severe symptoms. I am not loosing any fluid so i don't think it is a hydraulic issue. Also, the clutch arm is moving fine. This time around i am getting a good bit of noise from the clutch when in gear and car is on. Clutch is not fully disengaging either. I used a stethoscope to listen on the transmission case and sure enough its coming from the clutch(gets quieter as i move away from it toward trans or engine). if i had to guess, i would say its the classic spring popping out of the clutch problem. I know this has been a problem on the B series Honda Engines. looks like its time to replace the clutch.

Didn't really expect it at 88k but i am not gentle on cars either so not super surprised. Other than this the car has ran great for us.

Btw, anyone have a Helms for this car? id be happy to do a small write up with pictures on replacing the clutch if someone would scan the clutch replacement section for me =)

thanks
marcin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

well, new clutch is in. car is running good so far. can say it was a bit of a pain in the ass to change the clutch. basically followed the helms.

for reference i ordered the EXEDY/DK stock replacement. found a great deal on it from amazon.com of all places.

m.

·
Registered
389 Posts
05 MT clutch or slave cylinder?

ive done a lot of reading and searching and there is a lot of this same problem being posted about but not a lot of posts about what fixed it. here we go:

05 ex 4wd manual with 76k. i just got this car 2 weeks ago. tuesday i was heading home and had a hard time getting it into gear and shifting in every gear. got it home turned it off, a couple hours later i drove it to work and everything was fine and normal so i didnt think much of it. today i couldnt get it into any gear but 3rd but i needed to back out of my parking spot. turned car off a few times and eventually got it into reverse by force and headed home (only a mile) again, hard time shifting. got it in the driveway, turned it off went inside. needed to leave again and couldnt get it into any gears at all even with force. turned it off and put in in reverse with the ebrake pulled and foot on the brake started it up. with the clutch pushed all the way to the floor, when i let off both brakes it started driving backwards. master cylinder is leak free it looks like and the fluid is clean and yellowish. the previous owner said it never happened to him but he did add some fluid at one point. i tried pumping the clutch pedel but that didnt help. as of now, i cant drive my car. all the symptoms looks like they are hydraulic related but my research here looks like everyone with these problems had their clutch changed, then who knows if that fixed it? the clutch feels 100% perfect. any help? yall think its the hydraulics or the clutch? ive seen sometimes a spring will break in the clutch.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
from what you wrote, i'd say your clutch has lost the ability to de-clutch. if it's not the hydraulics, check the mounting of the clutch pedal to the firewall or the other end where the hydraulics meet the mechanical at the clutch. maybe something came loose or broke.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It's the slave cylinder. Follow the line from the master cylinder to the slave and see if it looks wet.

Usually if it is loosing fluid it is the slave. If not, the master.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's the slave cylinder. Follow the line from the master cylinder to the slave and see if it looks wet.

Usually if it is loosing fluid it is the slave. If not, the master.
ok i'll check it out in the morning, its 18° out right now. my buddy is gonna come bleed it tomorrow. hopefully we can find it and fix it. if we do fix it, i'll be sure to post the results for future searchers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
from what you wrote, i'd say your clutch has lost the ability to de-clutch. if it's not the hydraulics, check the mounting of the clutch pedal to the firewall or the other end where the hydraulics meet the mechanical at the clutch. maybe something came loose or broke.
but remember this problem came and gone earlier this week. came out of the blue, and "fixed" itself out of the blue too. its weird.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i had the same exact problem about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't get it into any gears, then the next day worked like a charm.

There was one thing that was different between the days...temperature. It was about 10 degrees when the clutch stopped releasing. The next day it got up to about 40 and it fixed itself. I did bleed the clutch which made it feel a lot better.

They are right, the only way for the slave cylinder to fail is if it is leaking fluid. If it looks wet, then it is probably bad and needs to be replaced. If it is the master cylinder, then you won't see any fluid leaking since the leakage would just go back into the reservoir.

Bleed it and let us know what happens. Also, see if you can remember how the temperature was when it was doing what it was doing.

I drove back to florida and i haven't seen the problem since on mine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem tonight ,drove 30 miles to work no problems.On the way home It was 2 degrees when I got home the clutch pedal would barely come off the floor,After an hour in a heated garage no problems pedal worked fine. I never had any issues before 2004 5sp 155,000miles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When mine happened, the only conclusion that i could come to was some moisture in the clutch fluid. I flushed it and it has been fine.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts