Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we reviewed the 2005 Honda Element last year, we found beneath its bizarre, boxy exterior a practical, spacious people-mover with plenty of cargo room and a number of surprisingly advanced audio features. Well, there's not much change to report for the 2006 model year. The 2006 Honda Element retains all of the preschool plastic controls, the ruggedized interior features (including a urethane floor covering), and the engine options of its predecessor. One of the few changes is the availability of color-coded bumpers, which serve to smarten up what remains a--how shall we put it--unique exterior profile. But people aren't going to buy the Element for its aesthetic design. They'll buy it because it's one of the only cars on the market that can be hosed out and left to dry without incurring any real lasting damage to its interior fittings and fixtures.
Reviewed by ; Kevin Massy , Associate Editor, CNET
Edited by ; Wayne Cunningham

Click here to read the entire review

*Note from EOC Mgmt. - you should not hose out your Element.

·
Registered
434 Posts
and the back doors DO have handles

What a complete moron. i want his job.

·
Registered
717 Posts
He probably meant real door handles that can be used seperately from the fronts. Of course there are door handles in the jamb. And the nearly useless ones on the interior.

I find the complaints of the sound quality faltering above mid-volume strange... show me a sound system that DOES provide high quality sound up to the max setting. At an advertised 270 watts, the sound system probably produces an actual 100 or so watts RMS. Assuming that a very low-ball guess of 20 of that goes to the sub, and being generous with the overall power, I'd guess that you might get 20 RMS to the main 4 channels.

That's not much juice. A budget-priced $79.99 Clarion CD head unit from Crutchfield is rated at 19 watts RMS. A same-priced Kenwood produces 22 watts RMS. Even a relatively inexpensive ($119) Profile Amp will give you 80 watts RMS. Should you expect more in a car that retails for under $25,000? Probably not. I've done the big stereo thing (at one point pushing about 200 watts RMS each to a pair of three ways and another 600 from a pair of bridged channels into a 12" JBL sub). There's something about passing age 20 that makes you realize that maybe destroying your hearing isn't so cool after all. :grin:

Anyway, when you get above 2/3 power, your peaks will start to clip on just about any amp. If you have the sound controls adjusted in any way above midline (extra treble or bass) it will distort earlier than that. Some stereos hide this natural effect by only allowing the gain to advance to around 60% of full throttle.

This isn't a high quality system... it's a factory stereo on a cheap car. For what it is, it's pretty damn decent!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Flobox said:
He probably meant real door handles that can be used seperately from the fronts. Of course there are door handles in the jamb. And the nearly useless ones on the interior.

I find the complaints of the sound quality faltering above mid-volume strange... show me a sound system that DOES provide high quality sound up to the max setting. At an advertised 270 watts, the sound system probably produces an actual 100 or so watts RMS. Assuming that a very low-ball guess of 20 of that goes to the sub, and being generous with the overall power, I'd guess that you might get 20 RMS to the main 4 channels.

That's not much juice. A budget-priced $79.99 Clarion CD head unit from Crutchfield is rated at 19 watts RMS. A same-priced Kenwood produces 22 watts RMS. Even a relatively inexpensive ($119) Profile Amp will give you 80 watts RMS. Should you expect more in a car that retails for under $25,000? Probably not. I've done the big stereo thing (at one point pushing about 200 watts RMS each to a pair of three ways and another 600 from a pair of bridged channels into a 12" JBL sub). There's something about passing age 20 that makes you realize that maybe destroying your hearing isn't so cool after all. :grin:

Anyway, when you get above 2/3 power, your peaks will start to clip on just about any amp. If you have the sound controls adjusted in any way above midline (extra treble or bass) it will distort earlier than that. Some stereos hide this natural effect by only allowing the gain to advance to around 60% of full throttle.

This isn't a high quality system... it's a factory stereo on a cheap car. For what it is, it's pretty damn decent!
well mr money bags 20000 is alot for some people

·
Registered
3 Posts
wheelchairs and elements......

just had my new element ex dropped off! love it!
I had never bought a new car without a test drive but I did whit this one .I knew what I was getting- a small suv that is Honda .I must admit it wasa great choice.
I am in a wheelchair, a para T12/L1 level since 1979.
Friendly Honda of Poughkeepsie NY lowered my vechicle usingTien coil-overs and camber plates and it all worked out great! I can get in and out easily ( i am no spring chicken and weight about 200lbs!) and it was very easy to put in my hand controls which are the portable type.
Tom Pratt is a angel and a stand -up guy when it came to having the lowering done and they even dropped it opff at my house.
Hats off to anyone in a wheelchair looking for a great vechicle to throw their wheels , dogs , and gear into!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Great E

raggu said:
I had never bought a new car without a test drive but I did whit this one .I knew what I was getting- a small suv that is Honda .I must admit it wasa great choice.
Friendly Honda of Poughkeepsie NY lowered my vechicle usingTien coil-overs and camber plates and it all worked out great! I can get in and out easily ( i am no spring chicken and weight about 200lbs!) and it was very easy to put in my hand controls which are the portable type.
Tom Pratt is a angel and a stand -up guy when it came to having the lowering done and they even dropped it opff at my house.
Hats off to anyone in a wheelchair looking for a great vechicle to throw their wheels , dogs , and gear into!
Welcome to the cult... Post E pics lowered....:cool:

·
Registered
717 Posts
ElementalFox said:
well mr money bags 20000 is alot for some people
Mr. Money Bags? :lol: More like Mr. Bill Bags. A $19,300 Element EX-P is the most expensive car Mr. Bill Bags has ever purchased. Mr Bill Bags is the sole income earner for a family of four, and Mrs. Bill Bags has a car loan as well.

Mr. Bill Bags would point out the same silliness had Mr. Massy criticized the lack of power drivers seat, auto-dimming mirror, heated seats, or HID projector beams.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
raggu said:
welcome to the club. you'll like it here. :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Flobox said:
then why would you call it a cheap car

·
Registered
717 Posts
ElementalFox said:
then why would you call it a cheap car
Because it is a cheap car.

In 2003, the average price of a new car crossed the $28,000 threshold, according to Motortrend.

USA Today lists a figure of $27,958 as of approximately one year ago.

I would definately say that a vehicle which:

- is aimed at young people
- is built on a modified economy car chassis
- forgoes luxury in favor of affordability and utility
- has an MSRP, even in top-trim that is only around 84% of the mean, and in basic trim only around 68% of the mean

... would qualify as a cheap car. The fact that I can't afford to drop $35,000 on a car does not change the fact that the car I did buy is cheap; on the contrary, that's why I bought it!!!

I would not expect a car that runs around 70-80% of average cost to compete feature-wise with a Toyota Avalon, Audi A4, or Honda Pilot. I wouldn't criticize a Kia Rio for not offering amenities on par with an Element. That is why I noted that for the price range of an Element, the stereo is very nice.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
nnooooo, not another 'you can hose it out' review :x:x

Can we at the EOC spam the car review mags and internet sites with:

do not hose out the element

Come on, 15000+ e-mails and maybe they will listen... :twisted:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
cheap element

come on Fox and Flo cant we all just get along?...lol ok first it is cheep if you put it up against other all wheel drives . but it is a Honda so it is well built.
and too the stereo it sounds good to me and my best friend owns a high end stereo car and custom shop here . and Fox is also right 22,000 is lots of money if ya dont have it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's an INEXPENSIVE car. If that hurts your ego, sorry but it's true.
I don't think Flobox meant "cheap" as in low quality. As cars go these days,$22K is on the low end of decent cars unless you go Scion.

·
Registered
717 Posts
d2mini said:
It's an INEXPENSIVE car. If that hurts your ego, sorry but it's true.
I don't think Flobox meant "cheap" as in low quality. As cars go these days,$22K is on the low end of decent cars unless you go Scion.
I bought the car, and I love it... why would I buy a car that I perceived to be of low quality? It's an inexpensive car that is a terrific value for the money.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Let's all just be "frugal" together instead of cheap! Frugal just sounds so... Honda. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
while yes, it may be inexpensive compared to other new vehicles anyone who does a cost benefit analysis will soon conclude that dropping more money doesnt nessarally make it a better.
Unless you go with the new benz 4WD WOW THAT CAR ROX!
Personally I think is somone wants to spent 30+K and get a few more gadets that will hardley ever be used, and in addition this vehicles can support any additional feature we here at EOC have come up with and then some.At a much cheaper price than if the factory did it i might add. So you start with a simi-bland car at a great value for quality but you improve on it to your liking, kinda like a good steak.
So while it is inexpensive (for what it does) by my opinion this is one of the most all-around vehicles i have ever owned
My only comment for people who complain about 4WD capiblities is, if you wanna tear the trails up get a JEEP! But always remember if your not beaking things your not wheel'n!!
But thats why I sold the jeep and got this because I got sik of fixn broken drive shafts,joints,or anything on a wet, nasty,rocky trail(the only good kind) then gettn back into my daily ride all muddy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I like the Scions myself, especially the Tc and Xb. Underpowered the Xb may be but it is easy on gas. One review I read mentioned the lack of power but they said to just drive it harder than you would a normal car. I thought it had nice quality materials in the interior. A friend of mine has a PT cruiser with and automatic and that's what he does, floors it.
I like the Xb but it is no Element! It's comparing apples to oranges really.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
21 Participants
te1966
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing