Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is the first time I've ever had to post! There is so much knowledge already given that I never have a hard time finding what I need.

I'm not the best auto mechanic, I can do fairly basic stuff.
I've used this forum to replace my water pump, swaybar links and bushings and I've spent HOURS pouring over threads. Thank you all!!!

My problem.

First autozone told me it was P0171, sold me some Lucas gas treatment. They said "There's some bad gas in town, had fifty of these readings this week"

I did the Lucas Gas treatment, unhooked the battery and cleared the codes. I had a meeting 80 miles away the next day. Drove there and back and realized my fuel economy SUCKED 15 MPG vs 23+(usual) and the CEL came back on.

Filled the tank, unhooked the battery to clear the codes and finished the ride home. I did not do an "idle teaching procedure" I never heard of it until I got home. It ran like crap the first 1/2 of the drive.

This morning,
Checked for vacuum leaks-Good
Sucked 1/3 can seafoam into the intake after it was warned up, at the end I gave it enough to stall it. Let it set. Romped it till the light smoke cleared, then on the highway a little, it hardly smoked at any point at all, guess that means it wasn't bad.

Came back, unhooked the battery for an hour, pulled the ECM and backup fuses.
Hooked it back up, did the idle procedure.

She sounds and runs really nice, but after awhile CEL comes on.
Run to the zone, Codes P0171 AND P2A00 are in.

Every since I had the poor gas milage, I've been leaning toward the A/F sensor. I've just been ruling out the cheap stuff.

Mileage says I'm running rich? code says lean.

I ordered a Actron CP9580L code reader/scanner from Amazon and am supposed to get it tomorrow.

I guess my question is, is there something obvious that these 2 codes together might be? Other than the primary O2 sensor? Elly has 191,250 miles on her, she probably needs new ones anyhow. (She was the first off the lot in OKC)

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
P0171: System too lean (Bank 1)
P2A00: Air fuel ratio sensor (Sensor 1) circuit range/performance problem

"Sensor, LAF" (LAF = lean air fuel), Honda p/n 36531-PZD-A01, about a hundred bucks online.

If the sensor is good, consult the factory service manual [H&A] [Helm Inc.] for possible causes of a lean condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ramblerdan,
I'm changing it in a few hours (when the part gets in) useing the Bosch OE style for the LAF (so I can fix it today), ordering the downstream from Majestic. I was worried about messing up the Catalytic converter and whatever else.

I had looked up these two codes (google) in conjunction and found a few examples in other forums. The overwhelming concensus was the LAF, but in alot of the cases that didn't seem to fix the problem.

I'm gonna go roll her up on the ramps, check wires & clean grounds. Maybe dab some penetrating oil on the sensors threads to kill some time before the stuff gets here.

If my origional problem was just bad gas, do you think the Lucas gas treatment could have harmed the sensor?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Thanks ramblerdan,
I'm changing it in a few hours (when the part gets in) useing the Bosch OE style for the LAF (so I can fix it today), ordering the downstream from Majestic. I was worried about messing up the Catalytic converter and whatever else.

I had looked up these two codes (google) in conjunction and found a few examples in other forums. The overwhelming concensus was the LAF, but in alot of the cases that didn't seem to fix the problem.

I'm gonna go roll her up on the ramps, check wires & clean grounds. Maybe dab some penetrating oil on the sensors threads to kill some time before the stuff gets here.

If my origional problem was just bad gas, do you think the Lucas gas treatment could have harmed the sensor?

^^^^^ Paul is 100% correct ! Your wasting your money on the Bosch part. It will not work for long, if at all.

Dom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too late...

I'll see if they will give my money back.

I tried every Honda dealership in the state, nobody could get it until next week.

I know it doesn't matter, but you couldn't tell the difference by looking at the probes. pigtail and all.

This is the first part I've ever put on her that didn't come from honda..

Got my new scanner,,I recorded data before and after I changed the sensor. Now that I've actually SEEN what a working sensor looks like, it's pretty obvious it was the sensor.

I now see voltage swinging between .1 and .9 (old was steady at .95 - .97)
sensor ma at almost 0.0 (instead of steady 127.0)

eq ratio hovering around 1.0 +/- .1 (instead of a steady 1.999)

I'll go ahead and order both sensors from Majestic tonight and sell the bosch on ebay if I can :)

Thanks ramblerdan & Dom.five

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
P0171 yesterday

I am getting this error code now, do you recommend me replacing the same part? I have checked everything on my intake/MAF sensors. Wondering if it's the O2 sensors near the cat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts