Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my E is running rough and almost sounds like its going to stall when idling. I've gotten the oil changed, I changed the air filter and I just did the spark plugs. Someone mentioned to me that it could be s bit of rust or moisture on one or more of the coil packs. Problem is getting to them as they are under the spark plugs and I see no easy way of getting to them.

Anyone want to shed some light on this maybe have another idea?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the coil packs are the long tubes? Hmmm...the mechanic was talking about something on the other end. Possible he didn't quite know what he was talking about.

So could it be the coil pack making it run rough in idle?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Coil packs tend to either work or don't work. Its possible that there is a loose connection and causing that missing. Seeing that mechanic did not know that they were the coil packs. I find that hard to believe as alot of cars and trucks have used that system for a number of years now. Its also possible that the plugs were improperly gapped, broken or fouled. If this happened right after the tune up I would be suspicious, it could be something else like a cracked hose, or dirty throttle body too. If you had a dead coil pack your engine would have a horrible miss, you would know it.

Chris

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope its been running a bit rough even before I put in new spark plugs. So I am at a loss. I did think dirty throttle body. The person was more of a tire guy but he was trying to give me some free advice which I appreciate. At this point I probably will bring it to a mechanic and not Honda. All Honda did was tell me that their diagnostics turned up nothing but 'yep its running rough' but did nothing. No s*%t sherlock.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If it was a coil pack it would turn on the check engine light as for a misfire on # cyl. What does it do when you step on the gas a little? If it gets smooth it might be the idle control valve sticking a little.

·
Banned
1 Posts
same issue FIXED

hey had the same issue with my element fortunatley my uncle works at Sierra Honda as the head masestro lol and he had checked out my coil pack. They said because during the manufacturing process the resin material used to insulate the heat was faulty and would cause molding and water would get into it causing major damage to the engine cylinders. I was dumbfounded luckily, he said by replacing them it would work. So did it was pretty cheap thought about going to my local dealership but its a easy job to do your self, you just need the parts. So i went to hondapartsnow.com they have a lot more parts than i thought and their pricest are hella cheap compared to the dealership.

Take my advice, i almost lost a cylinder because of this issue, change it asap its not expensive but it will make your element last a long long time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After market coil packs

Anybody recommend a after market coil pack? or Have any horror stories about a particular after market coil pack?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anybody recommend a after market coil pack? or Have any horror stories about a particular after market coil pack?

Thanks
Yes, check out my post from last week but i had a nightmare with the Intermotor brand coil packs.

In a nutshell, the springs feel out of the tube when i installed them and when i pushed down on the coil packs, I unknowingly crushed the springs down into the spark plug tube, it was a complete and utter disaster!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Replaced my coils after 94k miles yesterday. So far, I can tell an improvement in idle. Also tightened my throttle cable a little. This is from a 2010, so coils were 10 yrs old. Will keep updated. Plugs were changed about 5k miles ago.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi,
Before you just start replacing parts that maybe good...
Why not test first, this could be a lot of things including a stuck EGR Valve???
Just sayin!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts