Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey EOC!

Back in 2016 I picked up an 04 Honda to replace an Odyssey. I originally bought it because it could also fit a motorcycle and used it mainly for that and general schlepping cause it's awesome for that. Gradually the fantastic utility of it led to selling off my other sedan and just using this. Naturally wanted to make it a bit more capable, as such I'll use this thread for the endeavor.

Starting Platform

Picked up the Element in 2016 with 80,000 miles. It's a 2004 EX 4WD(AWD...?) with a 5 speed stick.

Build Goals

The pipe dream is to be able to use the Element as a badass long-ish road trip vehicle catered to mountain biking and accommodating a girlfriend and a pup. Sleeping in or on the element is in the works, this will come later. First things first though, went up to a DIY shop this weekend and replaced -
  • Struts (all four)
  • Sway bar end links and bushings
  • Tie rod ends
  • New wheels and tires (16x8 with 255/70/16s) (Thank you RWC for the idea!)

This fixed probably 80% of the random clunking/whining/squealing/slamming/groaning/hissing/popping that was going on in the suspension components.

Photos

Day of purchase

Shop day

Bonus Honda goodies

Next things to tackle
  • Hideous front bumper fade, likely new control arms, maybe CVs....we'll see.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,719 Posts
Ooh Yeah! Nice rugged off-road look with those new wheels & tires!

Love that Galapagos Green too! : - )

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
if the front bumper has faded seriously, or gone all swirlly, it's probably an after market replacement bumper, which means you should check for body damage behind it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
453 Posts
Here’s my two pesos worth...

I bought the center “dark gray” garnish bits for both bumpers on my 04 EX-S AWD 5-Speed GGM Element... then I plastic dipped the grill and that eBay billet insert... peeled off the Honda “H” and viola! (If I didn’t have damage to the garnish pieces clippy things, they would’ve been dipped too!)

P-dip seems to be weathering well, we shall see... but I wouldn’t hesitate to plastic dip most of the car now... seems to fit the Element’s aesthetics really well... easy to do, somewhat removable...

Opinions are like elbows, right?

Anyway, looking good, I like the wheels...
Did you see Locksmith’s CRV rear struts? Might help with weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would those wheels and tires work on an E with an automatic transmission? I am not mechanically inclined at all but would like to fix up the looks of my E. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Would those wheels and tires work on an E with an automatic transmission? I am not mechanically inclined at all but would like to fix up the looks of my E. Thanks.
yes. I've got a similar setup on mine.

ideally you have the 5 speed auto because the car gets SLOW (mine is a 4 speed)

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.