Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with a compass NOT functioning properly? Every one I place in my Element acts like a magnetic field is affecting it and the compass will only point S / SW not matter which direction I am going.

·
Registered
480 Posts
To answer your question...no, I haven't had problems, but I haven't tried using one either. Try moving it to different locations, like low on the windshield vs. high on it, then try it on the dash. Are you using a good quality compass? Have you followed the instructions to make the initial adjustments after installation?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Compass

I havn't had any problems with my compass, and I've used several of them. They always seem to be pretty true. Now, if I could only find one that would work after the 90 degree sun shines on it all morning.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had problems with a compass NOT functioning properly? Every one I place in my Element acts like a magnetic field is affecting it and the compass will only point S / SW not matter which direction I am going.
yes I had that problem. Sorry I didn't find a solution.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
What kind of compass are you talking about? All that are designed for use in a car have some sort of compensation mechanism. In older ones (the spinning ball type) have a couple of small magnets in the base that you rotate. Digital ones may have a 'setting function' that requires you to drive a tight circle once or twice.

Hiking compasses have to be used outside the car. Remember there is metal all around you, with an extra large chunk right in front.

I had an inexpensive digital one in my Element for a while, but took it out when I started to use a GPS unit. A GPS deduces your direction of travel from the last few locations. The compass, even when properly adjusted, tended to fluctuate; the GPS is more stable - plus of course it shows either you track or the road you are on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts