Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it ever been proven that the Home Depot / Lowe's gutter guard modification will actually stop a rock at detrimental speed? Definitive proof?

·
Registered
52 Posts
How hard can you throw? You can test it out for us.

I do not have definitive proof of anything at this point. However, from what I remember in high school physics, the fact that there is something in the way will cause an energy loss on the projectile. Even if it makes it through, it will hit with much less force than a clean shot.

I did the plastic method instead of the metal gutter guards and used two layers. The stuff feels flexible enough to absorb a reasonable amount of force. But at "detrimental" speed? Who knows. But the way I interpret that, you may have more than just a condenser to worry about. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Compare 2 E's with 20,000+ miles on them. One with gutter guard and one without. No brainer it works.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How hard can you throw? You can test it out for us.

I do not have definitive proof of anything at this point. However, from what I remember in high school physics, the fact that there is something in the way will cause an energy loss on the projectile. Even if it makes it through, it will hit with much less force than a clean shot.

I did the plastic method instead of the metal gutter guards and used two layers. The stuff feels flexible enough to absorb a reasonable amount of force. But at "detrimental" speed? Who knows. But the way I interpret that, you may have more than just a condenser to worry about. :)
Compare 2 E's with 20,000+ miles on them. One with gutter guard and one without. No brainer it works.
I used the word "detrimental" to infer a speed / mass which would do appreciable damage to the condenser unit only. That could be 40mph by a 2 oz stone, could be 70mph. Also plastic will become brittle with time and varying temperatures so in a frigid Nebraska winter, just as in a wet and sun baked Florida summer, I have some doubts.

I postulate that in many real world conditions it's too lightweight to be effective.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used the word "detrimental" to infer a speed / mass which would do appreciable damage to the condenser unit only. That could be 40mph by a 2 oz stone, could be 70mph. Also plastic will become brittle with time and varying temperatures so in a frigid Nebraska winter, just as in a wet and sun baked Florida summer, I have some doubts.

I postulate that in many real world conditions it's too lightweight to be effective.
I considered this when making my selection. However, after feeling some of metal varieties available, I didn't really feel like one would out perform the other. At least with plastic, I get a natural black color and don't have to worry about painting, the paint chipping, or corrosion of any type.

Either way, I attached these with zip ties and figure if anything was going to fail catastrophically, it would be these as there is no bend/flex to them when they're pulled tight. So I opted for color and cost. If it doesn't work, I'm only out a couple dollars. And it comes in 20ft rolls, so I have more on reserve in a pinch. I can go more aggressive in the future if it becomes necessary.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is subjective. There are too many variables involved to give a definitive yes or no answer.

How fast do you drive?
What kind of road surface?
How many miles a year?
Do you live near a gravel pit?
Do the roads get salt in the winter?
How much following distance do you afford the vehicle in front of you?
Etc...

I have over 107,000 miles on my 03' and have never done the HD guard and the condenser is just fine even though it looks like it spent the day down range at the trap club.
Other owners have reported condenser failure with less than 1000 miles on the odometer.
Even if the mod is only partially effective, that is better than no protection at all right?
Only you can decide if it works or not for your particular application.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hahaha check out the banner from the top of the screen that comes up with this thread.:D

Gutter Helmet!
:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nuwin- I did the same exact method as you. I bought the thicker roll "black" and doubled up on it. It does have a little "give" to it to which sould actually help it absorb the impact. As for whether it works- I can say that it stood up to a red winged black bird at 50 mph just fine...........may he rest in peace!!:-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts