Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a 2006 ExP 2 wd with 188k miles for $6,000.00
Healthy looking maintenance records, very minor accident, no air bag deployment or towing. Was driven from accident location and for the following two years. Perfect interior, no body damage. But those high miles scare me. I don't do a lot of heavy driving. Home and work within 3 miles, go light camping on paved roads within 50 miles of home, and grocery shopping. What could go wrong? Please advise! This would be my first E.

·
Registered
541 Posts
according to Edmunds, about $300 overpriced for your area in "clean" condition
Use the accident to your advantage, to get the price closer to $5k...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
if it makes you feel any better, i bought a 2004 w/ over 200k miles back in June and haven't had any problems. had i checked out by my usual mechanic and he was favorably impressed. so don't be scared of the miles if it's been well taken care of.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's grat advice. Thank you. I hate salesmen, but I'm gonna DO this. Thank the car gods for AutoCheck and CarFax! It's a different world now!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does!

It does make me feel better, thank you! I have E fever pretty bad, and there's nothing worse than showing up at the dealorship looking and sounding like a rube! I really appreciate the help, comments and advice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How to get out of town mechanic

:?One more thing, my mechanic can't make the out of town trip to give it the once over. Any suggestions on how to find a mechanic? Never had to do that. What should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Seems a bit overpriced to me (you seem to be rushing it a bit -- likely to get happy feet and commit to something you might regret due to unnecessary excitment). I would agree with other posters that this should be down in the 5k range.

Either way, get it checked out by a mechanic before you buy it or you might regret it. I asked the Honda Dealership to do an inspection for me for $261. They offered a less expensive option that was less thorough.

Check all panels to make sure VIN stickers are there and that it hasn't been in any unreported accidents. Carfax and Autocheck mean VERY LITTLE (other than you allowing you to verify # of previous owners and any RECORDED accidents, etc.) YOUR INSPECTION is the most important...

·
Registered
498 Posts
:?One more thing, my mechanic can't make the out of town trip to give it the once over. Any suggestions on how to find a mechanic? Never had to do that. What should I expect to pay?
I'm sure what's available in your area, but I've always used a service (Automotive MDs) that will go out to the vehicle (yes, even on dealership lots) and do a complete inspection, then give you a multi-page report. I could be accused of raving about the service, but I'm definitely not in any way associated with them or paid by them. In the 10+ years that I've used their service, I've never had problems with vehicles that were given favorable reports. It was roughly $150 to look at the E.

btw: I purchased my 04 E back in January with 176K.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New level of sleaze

I'm passing on this one. The dealer's receptionist refused to send the "clean Carfax or AutoCheck" as their scanner wasn't working. Meanwhile someone else from the shop answered my email inquiry and told me there was both hail damage AND some kind of denting on the roof! Then the dealer himself returned my phone call for an update on the AutoCheck and screamed at me, really, screamed at me that he had already TOLD me what was in the CarFax, what else did I want, and the car was priced right. Scared the crap out of me. Sounded like he could be one of those people to take a gun to work and kill every one there. I later got an apology, and if I was still interested, maybe a photo of the document could be sent to me. I suggested someone check up on the salesman as he was clearly under too much pressure, or wasnt feeling well. I would be moving on in my search. Traumatized, I'm now wondering if I should just get a beige Camry like everybody else... Not

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stirred, but not shaken

Yes, got a little slap happy :-D for a moment. Won't make THAT mistake again. 8) I'm taking note of all this advice and will act on it the next time I have something on my hook. Thank you.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yes, got a little slap happy :-D for a moment. Won't make THAT mistake again. 8) I'm taking note of all this advice and will act on it the next time I have something on my hook. Thank you.
It sounds like you are really excited to become an E owner. Trust me when I say that many people feel this way (myself included), but don't make any harsh mistakes. I have found that many Es are available, you just need to be patient. I eventually found a great E with AWD, manual transmission, 1 owner. Although I had to do some work and it wasn't perfect... I knew that coming into the purchase. When you are excited you often overlook things really easily. If you're looking for an automatic transmission they are very easy to find... be patient, make sure the owner has maintenance records and that he took care of the car, get it inspected.

I previous thought it was impossible to find a clean 5 speed manual transmission with AWD... But I stand corrected! Since I have joined the forums I have seen a number of clean 5MT placed on sale. Even if I lost mine in an accident (knock on wood) or some other event, I know that I can find another one if I am patient. Hang in there and you'll find the perfect E for you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:| Thank you for that advice. Paitence is not my virtue, but I will be learning some in this effort to find my E.

·
Registered
541 Posts
take your time and find that clean, well maintained, one owner E...
after you find it, get it checked by a mechanic
if all is well, buy it, and enjoy it for years to come...

patience is key. I've bought cars in a haste, and definitely regretted it.... live and learn.

·
Registered
32 Posts
take your time and find that clean, well maintained, one owner E...
after you find it, get it checked by a mechanic
if all is well, buy it, and enjoy it for years to come...

patience is key. I've bought cars in a haste, and definitely regretted it.... live and learn.
Agree.

Also, the longer you take, the more you will know about the E. Be educating yourself, you'll have a much clearer idea of what you really want and which of the models/years fits your needs. All of them ( DX, EX, LX and SC) are great, but they are different.

Do you want the sun roof? No 09's or higher for you!. What do you think of the plastic body panels? If you don't care for those, out go the older models.

When I started my search, I had the hots for a sweet SC model, but after checking it out a bit more, I set my sights on a late model EX. I went through about 8 of them until I found "Red Ed" at the price I wanted to pay. It took a bit of time and trouble, but I got the toaster I wanted.

Hang in! Your E is out there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
mileage isn't scary - accident could be. (and dinks price a bit.) I had a ton of options when I was looking in that price and mileage range. (closer to 160k for 6k) that was 6 months ago or so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've seen several nice, older E's in the St. Louis area, not that far from you. What's your ideal Element? Recently added a very nice'07 SC to the '05 EX AWD, so we're a two E family :) Patience is excellent advice but glad to send info on area sightings...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ooooooo, pretty! Yes, I would like the moon/sun roof for camping(which IS it?), but otherwise would likely keep it covered in hot weather. My little shelties don't need the extra heat! They come with me camping. I appreciate the advice. If anyone has tips on how to buy a car out of state, I would be interested in hearing it. The supply of Es here in soccer mom land is very limited.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I've actually looked in the Phoenix/Tucson area as I have friends who live there. There are lots more Es there. I have never bought a car out of state before. I could learn, I guess. The budget is pretty tight though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking there now... the perfect E for me is something with the moon roof for camping with my pups, so it has to be an all wheel drive Ex, non smoker, 2004-2008 I think. Dogs will ride in seat belts, so nothing older than the 04. However, I can live without the moon roof, if I find a lower mileage ride. Color is of course important. I really want an orange, or Kiwi, but haven't seen hide nor tail in either color in any decent condition in my 6-7K price point. Would accept the red, silver, blue, grey or black in about that order. Black is so hot here. I can drive a manual, but prefer an automatic. Prepared to give up my ideal for a 2 wd provided the condition, price AND color is right on. Don't do a lot of driving. Daily commute is 6 miles, camping and lake is about 40 miles round trip a few times a year. Don't do any off roading. Occasional moderate snow driving in winter. Have a good import shop and mechanic, but dont do any work myself more trouble than oil changes, radiator flush, and brakes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw those. Looking for something other than black. So hot during the summer. My last car was black. Some of the others are out of my price point. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I check the list often, along with autotrader, yahooautos, local papers, etc. I even leave notes on Es I see around town. Although that leaves me me feeling desperate and dirty!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts