Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT.... with our crazy winter conditions here is this a good choice? I love BISDAK, handles very well especially with the NOKIAN TIRE....I have no issues buried deep in snow and slippery conditions.
Need your help fellows? any inputs on the SC? they are not availalbe in AWD ord 4WD right?
think? think?
thnxx

·
12,179 Posts
BUT.... with our crazy winter conditions here is this a good choice? I love BISDAK, handles very well especially with the NOKIAN TIRE....I have no issues buried deep in snow and slippery conditions.
Need your help fellows? any inputs on the SC? they are not availalbe in AWD ord 4WD right?
think? think?
thnxx

Correct Sc is FWD only. A good set of winter tires should help you thru winter without any issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an '07 SC here in Edmonton.
I bought a set of aggressive winter tires and had them mounted on some cheap steel rims. The standard tires that come with the SC won't be good enough for winter driving, imo.
This past winter was pretty ugly at times with big dumps of snow and I didn't get stuck once.
I wondered when I was buying my E whether or not I should go with the AWD. The look of the SC is what set it apart for me and I haven't wished for the AWD at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have no winter tires and have always managed to make it out and about in the winter in Calgary... Granted this winter there were a couple days where the snow was so bad basically the whole city shut down but generally speaking, typical winters I have done fine. Stick shift helps some too, no AWD but still does have some sort of traction control system on it. Only thing that is annoying is the tire pressure monitor is on almost all the time when it is really really cold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys, I am in Calgary, have an SC and am looking for some winter tires, what are ones you guys recommend? Just picked my used E on Saturday, but what to get winter's and steelies pronto!

·
Registered
180 Posts
any decent brand will do (having a decent budget helps, too!). i got toyo tires w/ steelies in mine and going 4 seasons already. try checking out tireshops first for pricing comparison.
i've heard good things about nokian but there are other brands, too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am thinking about getting the Nokian, but the Steel's seem to vary from place to place.... $59 at Cdn Tire, up to $95 at Kal tire, mind you you get free changes, balancing and rotation at Kal tire. Think its worth buying cheap steels and then going bing on the tires? Anyone have a place where they got their steels and are satisfied?

·
Registered
180 Posts
well, those small stuff (mounting balance rotation) counts if you do mind doing them. if you're in a tight budget, i'd rather have a nice set of rubbers with steelies. i don't think it's worth it to have a $300/rim when they always get slushed and have more chance of getting rashed.
you can always buy those nice plastic covers if you still want them to look good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Ford Escape 4wd with winter tires.
The thing could find grip anywhere, it was amazing. I also have a fwd Mazda 3 with winters.

The winter tires make the biggest difference. AWD is an asset. In Calgary, for 364 days a week, the fwd with Winters is all you need.

I also don't understand Honda's decision to disallow SC in awd/4wd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts