Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never imagined it would come to this, but I am seriously considering trading in Wall-E. :-(

It started back in June with the national trip to Ohio. No less than 2 hours into the trip; my left hip, down my left leg and into my lower back was killing me.

It's all part of my Rheumatoid Arthritis, that 2 hour window is now down to an hour. So, on the trip to Williamsburg for Thanksgiving this past Thursday, I wasn't even an hour in and I'm in pain to the point I wanted to vomit. I was in tears by this point as well..

Anyone else dealing with any sort of similar problems? What are you doing to combat it in order to keep your E?? :confused: I in NO WAY want to get rid of Wall-E, but if it continues this way, I won't have a choice in the matter. :oops:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I had this problem in a kayak (not the same but) I use a gel seat pad and that helped greatly. Would different seat pads softer harder vibrating help?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I can not give you any advice, unfortunately, but I hope you will get a good solution from some E-ple. I would really hate it if you had to depart with Wall-E.

e-hug and take care :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have a friend with a similar problem if she sits at her computer a lot, she uses this and it seems to help:

http://www.aquaaireseatcushion.com/comfortcushion

Was originally designed for tail-bone injuries, supposed to be an improvement over gel cushions and work better.

They also have a "driving" cushion on that site too.
Shoot, I may need to get one of these for the E. I recently injured my back at work, and I'm only 26!!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Anyone else dealing with any sort of similar problems? What are you doing to combat it in order to keep your E?? :confused: I in NO WAY want to get rid of Wall-E, but if it continues this way, I won't have a choice in the matter. :oops:

Talk with Tim Vance! He has solved the trouble they had with the seats.

I have seen his mod. It works for them. It's cheep enough for you to try, before dumping the E.

Dom

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a friend with a similar problem if she sits at her computer a lot, she uses this and it seems to help:

http://www.aquaaireseatcushion.com/comfortcushion

Was originally designed for tail-bone injuries, supposed to be an improvement over gel cushions and work better.

They also have a "driving" cushion on that site too.
I'm checking into the driver's cushion now, THANKS!! And if there is a Will, there is a Wall-E. :razz:

The only problem is, I don't know a dealership alive that will let me test drive a vehicle for longer than it takes to drive down the highway, hook a u-E and return with it. :rolleyes: So, I may have a problem replacing Wall-E.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talk with Tim Vance! He has solved the trouble they had with the seats.

I have seen his mod. It works for them. It's cheep enough for you to try, before dumping the E.

Dom
Dom, THANKS MUCH!!! And if Tiim Vance is out there, dude, fill me in!! Purdy please!! :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm dealing with the same pain too, bursitis for me, on the right hip. Anyhow I have been making modifications to help. So far . . .
-mounted dead pedal (purchased here on forum)
-have the Obis-form back rest
-made a cushion to lift my butt out of the seat. The 'shoulders' on the seat really cramp my style. Major aches with that.
-now I'm creating a footrest under the gas pedal modelled after Ramblerdan's. Here's a link to his diagrams: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/heel_rest.htm

Right now I've got foamcore taped down in front of the pedal and I'm trying to find the right height. I'm also trying to get my leg off the seat. What I mean by that is that the area 3 inches up from my right knee, on the back side, seems to be pushing down on the seat and it's hurting -muscle pain.

I do wonder who designed the seats and their position. The seat / gas pedal configuration is so off! Were they designed for tall people only? And for people without any aches and pains? Aren't there others who find the foot position on the gas pedal a real problem? Yesterday it occured to me to go to the junkyard and find my old car, a 94 Colt Wagon, and by one of the seats out of it. It was a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Shoot, I may need to get one of these for the E. I recently injured my back at work, and I'm only 26!!! :mad:
hey, that's when i injured my back. felt soo old at 26...fortune cookie say more pain to come...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
My advice is to consult your physician and go from there. It might not be the Element per se but a combination of meds, cushions, or other strategies you'll need to resolve the pain.

I'm no doctor (we can all be thankful for that) but figure the root cause and, as you're doing, seek advice from others with your same symptoms.

·
Registered
660 Posts
LmentalMastiffs, let me know what happens with that Aqua cushion if you try it. I wonder if it would be rigid enough to keep the underside of my upper leg off the edge of the seat. I'm aching there now from my drive to and from work yesterday. And I wonder if the seat would be rigid enough not to fall into the 'shoulders' of the seat and therefore not resolve those aches.

I emailed Tim Vance and asked him to visit this post. Hopefully he'll have some wise advise. I had posted last year about the seats and there were a few who suggested buying a new seat, some special ergonomically designed seat. But like your problem, how do you try the seat out for a day, to see if the fit is right, then return it if it doesn't work?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
you just think you're sore now... ;-)

just wait till you're 50.... :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what you drive, or where you sit - you're gonna be sore and dealing with the big dogs doesn't help a whole lot either, trust me.

just sayin'

·
Registered
660 Posts
you just think you're sore now... ;-)

just wait till you're 50.... :rolleyes:
Thanks for that. I'm almost there.:rolleyes:

Anyhow I went out to my E to get some pics for LmentalMastiffs.

#1. Here's what I thought the problem was. The 'shoulder' was pushing up against my hip.
#2. I put in the cushions and still aches and pains -bursitis in the hip. (Note I covered the Obisform in kiwi green!)
#3. I've started the heel rest form. Excuse the mess. I was desperate to raise the height due to aches and pains so I tore some foam up and taped it on. When the height is right and the angle is right my hip is pain free.:):)
#4. I am matching the dead pedal to my heel rest. This should help you if your problem is your left hip.
#5. Here's where the new problem takes place. This part of the cushion is built up too high and thanks to that I'm sore right now. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've heard the obus-forme works very well. I was looking into it with my '07 because the headrests hit me totally wrong (it's not easy being short :rolleyes:), but I never got around to trying it before I sold the E. Since then, I have seen them greatly discounted at Tuesday Morning- much cheaper than fleabay and there's one near me I'd be happy to check for you!

Here's the website for more info: http://www.obusforme.com/

Hoping you can work things out without having to give up Wall-E, but your health is the most important!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
After listening to everyone's complaints I think I'll go off somewhere and die young(ish).

Sorry to hear about your problem EM. I have to agree that a new vehicle is prolly not gonna solve it (barcolounger mod anyone?). Even tho I am a doctor (PhD. in BS yuk yuk) I think your MD is a good place to start then maybe find or befriend an occupational therapist to help fine tune your positioning.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts