Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering selling m 2003 EX and and I'm unsure about pricing - not sure if it is to be considered just an old used car, or maybe the 5-speed and relatively low miles makes it have some degree of increased value? Some details:

99,000 miles
5-speed manual trans
front-wheel drive
AC
5 speaker stereo with sub
Power windows/mirrors
cruise control
anti-lock brakes
Alloy wheels
fairly new tires
no accidents
located in Minneapolis, MN

Any thoughts on pricing would be appreciated - Thanks!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,675 Posts
Welcome to the EOC mikewashburn! :)

Looks very clean in the photos. But WestCoastE is correct. The condition of the under body is major consideration. MN being an area where road salt is used, it may have hidden issues underneath. We see this a lot here with Elements; very clean interior and exterior paint, but a pending disaster underneath! :confused:

Anyway, with a clean underbody, I don't think $7000 or maybe a little more is out of the question, what with the high cost of used cars these days!

But, with rust issues underneath, way less than that.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. Are there certain key areas that are typical rust problems for Elements? I could snap a few photos and post them to see what people think. I don't work on cars so am not able to determine if there are rust problems or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am located in WI not far from MN . If you decide on a price let me know . I am looking for another vehicle and I was thinking of buying another Element.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks for your responses. Are there certain key areas that are typical rust problems for Elements? I could snap a few photos and post them to see what people think. I don't work on cars so am not able to determine if there are rust problems or not.
Yes. The area where the rear lower control arms mount are a typical bad spot for underbody rust. You can see this by looking underneath the car just in front of the of the rear wheels. The metal rear bumper mount is another bad spot, but much less serious and easier to repair if necessary.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lol
hi guise,
im new here and selling a car your board is based on, i also dont know what rust looks like, want to buy it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really? Is that a normal sort of response on this board? So far users seemed respectful and helpful.

And I didn’t suggest I don’t know what rust looks like. The bottoms of most old cars look rusty-but that doesn’t mean there is a rust problem.

I asked an honest and civil question and have no idea why you’d post that response.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just do this. You’ll get plenty of feedback if we can see the pics. There’s a spectrum of rust and most can give an opinion which will be “….as compared to mine” - this will help you close in on a price.
Cosmetically looks great but the value or lack thereof will come from looking underneath - maybe not to a potential buyer who may never look- but most folks here can give a good opinion if we can see it.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Lol
hi guise,
im new here and selling a car your board is based on, i also dont know what rust looks like, want to buy it?
Honestly this is way way way better than my other groups. “Hi <pet group>, I bought <pet>. You need to tell me what sex it is, what it eats, how old this thing is, and how I can make it have babies to sell for $$$. By the way I’m planning to take the babies away from the parents the second I see them because I need the money sooner. Here’s a pic that shows nothing gender-wise (but you can all see it’s dying of malnutrition and disease, and I’m keeping it in a rusty cage too small for it to turn around, and without food or water), thanks!”

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have nearly identical cars, including the color. Mine's an automatic/AWD, though. I bought it at a dealer's six years ago for $6000. I've been wondering what someone would pay for it. Never been in the shop since I've owned it. I love it. no desire to sell it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have nearly identical cars, including the color. Mine's an automatic/AWD, though. I bought it at a dealer's six years ago for $6000. I've been wondering what someone would pay for it. Never been in the shop since I've owned it. I love it. no desire to sell it.
Take it to the shop and have the valves adjusted never been makes me nervous..

·
Registered
2005 Fiji Blue Pearl Element EX 4wd 4-spd AT with 69K miles
22 Posts
A manual trans with that mileage and those looks! yes, rust would be one of the factors but used car prices are really high right now and Elements just keep going up and up. I'd say 10 - 20k range.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crazy but true. If it's rust free and not broken, doll it up with a full detail, take top notch pics and post it to BaT (or maybe cars 'n bids?) and make bank.

·
Registered
2006 Blue EX-P AWD
4 Posts
I just bought my quite blue '06 AWD Automatic with 87,000mi for $10.000 off a used car lot.
Let me just pause here to say that we are still very much in our honeymoon period. Sigh, Heart emoji, etc. :)
Based on personal experience leading up to this purchase, here are some observations for your consideration.
  • Your '03 Element is going to sell for more than '03 (almost) Anything Else, especially with <100Kmi. That being said, a dealer is going to want to pay less than a consumer - and a consumer would possibly expect to pay less from a private party than from a dealer or used car lot. I mention dealer because I think that some check out the private listings because this is a such a hot car and they flip them.
  • Caveat Emptor! Laws likely differ in each state, but a private seller may not bear any responsibility for the condition of an 'as is' used vehicle - especially if you specify 'as is'. Google will tell you what's up in MN. It is up to the buyer to bring a mechannic or if you allow it, take the vehicle to get checked out (as I did). If you want to base your price on how rusted or not the undercarriage is, have your mechanic give his professional opinion. Mine charged $90 for a complete inspection, if you just want a rust check, I'm certain it would be less. The advantage to this is that you would have the assurance of whatever the assessement was in order to fix your price. Pictures are worth a thousand words, but nothing beats eye's on. You don't want to sell a rust bucket, but any buyer knows that it is an 18yr old car from MN.
  • Based on what I saw in half a year of looking, mechanical/rust condition (if you go there) and what you have posted, I'd give you a spread of 6K - 9K. But look around in your area to see what they are going for. You can always start a little high, especially if you don't need to sell right away and drop the price every so often. If you need to sell, put a lower price on it to begin with.

Your car looks really cared for! I wanted the green in a manual, don't tell my baby ....

My advice? Keep that undercarriage washed and don't sell. ;) Good Luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's been my experience that the buyers who are local to this seller (in Minneapolis) will be less concerned about rust than those of us who live outside the rust belt. I'm not saying he shouldn't disclose any undercarriage rust, but pretty much any car that's been in that city for 10 or more years is going to have undercarriage rust that's at least on the way to being quite severe, unless it was parked for the winter months.

Seller could realistically just sell the car locally as is and he wouldn't be any more or less ethical than any other seller in the area.

As an aside, people who live in the rust belt have a whole different perception of what qualifies as rust. I've seen many, many ads that say 'no rust,' and even though there aren't any undercarriage photos, you can see the brake calipers and wheel hubs, along with the engine bay, have copious amounts of the orange oxide demon eating away at the car, in which case you have to assume the worst for the underside. Many of these people think that if there's not rust-through on the body, the car is 'rust-free,' though you and I know better. I don't think they even do it to be unethical, they're just so conditioned to seeing 10 year old cars that are already severely perforated by rust, that they figure their car is 'rust-free.'

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for your further info. I've got some undercarriage pics attached. Obviously there is rusty stuff but as I had said I can't judge the difference between normal rust and a rust problem.
Let me know what you think, and if there are any other spots that I didn't take a picture of that helps determine the condition let me know. One other note,
I bought my Element in 2006 (with 12k miles at the time) from the original owner and have owned it since then.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Well, I'll comment based on as best as I can tell from the photos you provided:

It looks like mostly normal rust. At least the one rear lower control arm mount that you showed in the photo looks OK. If the other side looks the same, you are probably without an issue there.

The only thing that would likely be problematic would be removing suspension bolts if any of the suspension parts are worn; or if an alignment is needed. Instead of just unbolting things, it would require lots of penetrating oil, torch and saw work, and buying new nuts and bolts, and so forth.

But with all that said, it doesn't look quite bad enough to scare away a potential buyer. It probably looks rather typical of any 18 year old car in your area.

That's why I love it here in Florida! The under body on my '03 EX, which spent its whole life here, looks as clean as you are likely to ever find on any 18 year old daily driver! :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts