Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a solution to the armrest dilemma? The driver's side storage armrest accessory by Honda does not seem to be big enough to be utilited by the passenger and I would REALLY like to have one on the passenger side. I thought (sometimes scary) that I could pull up the drink caddy floor console and add a big locking console/armrest.

Does this seem to be a viable solution to the problem? My Element has not come in yet so I don't have any dimensions to go with.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For some of us.........shorter people, the arm rest is great. I can finally use one when I drive. :)

I would say be careful thinking about pulling up the center console, your parking brake is there. If you don't want/need to use it, you have a bit more room to work with, but otherwise, the area would be small to install something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone have some pictures of the armrest/storage compartment? I only can find pictures like the one Honda has on it's site. I would like to see a few more.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have seen the instructions but what I was hopping to see is real pictures of the storage inside, a picture of the arm from behind so I could see how wide it looks and a shot of it in the up position.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input, I will have to watch out for that darn brake. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love the driver's side armrest with storage. It not only perfectly lines my arm up with the manual shift, but it has been wide enough for all of my passengers as well. There is a small gap between the passenger seat and the armrest, but it has not seemed to bother my passengers, as of yet.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
When my acccessories are in, the armrest storage is one of the things I did get. I will take photos of it, if RML does not beat me to it, smiles.

It does say on the h-and-a site that it is not to be used with Manual trans, Elementowner, are you speaking of the standard one or the storage one.. that kinda makes me wonder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just checked out h & a website and saw the note you mentioned. I have both the manual trans and the storage armrest and have yet to see any reason why they shouldn't be together. Of course, the dealership didn't mention any reason either (but then again, I knew more about the element than they did).
In fact, I think the positioning of the armrest is one of my favorite things about the E (it's those little things that make me happy)(':D'). The only possible annoyance is reaching down to the center console to lift the parking brake, while the armrest is down (it is pretty wide), but I have already gotten used to raising the armrest as soon as I stop the car.

I will definitely let ya'll (oops, now you know where I'm from) know if I find any other problems with the storage armrest and man. trans.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
well not all southerns are bad eh, grin.. :wink: Elementowner, heck you have an Element that proves it right? Yes please keep us posted about the manual with the storage armrest!

It does look nice, sob, i look forward, sob, to mine coming in.. :cry:

Yeah raising the armrest does become a natural habit.. i know i have those kinda tendencies too. Now do you hit the emergency parking brake every time you park? I used to have a habit of that (many moons ago) but have not had an issue with the vehicles I now have... including the Element.. would love your input.

So where abouts, down yonder, do ya'all hail?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let's see, as far as the parking brake, I don't know if I could ever break that habit. When I park, the brake comes up. Simple as that.

As for where I am from, these days I hail from Dallas (grew up here as well) schooled in San Antonio, and born in Minnesota. If its not one extreme, its another. Maybe that's what attracted me to the Element. :wink:

I plan on posting some picks of the manual w/armrest storage - but first I have to finish working.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
cool I will look forward to dem pix... and Texas makes sense for some reason I have really liked every person I have met from Texas, and NY talk about extremes, but my closest friends always seem to come from those specific two states creepy huh?

cool well take care of texas, ciao!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Elementowner: great pix.. thank you.. butttt how about opening it and taking photos too, smiles.. i wanna see the insides of it.. ya know.. throw a cd in there to so we can see the overall dimensions!

looks like it is excellent with the stick, that just does not make sense why it would be suggested to not have this with a stick, hummm...

thank you again, great pix!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does the storage armrest sit higher than the standard one? It is really the only thing I didn't like about the interior. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2") and the armrest lowered to the same height as my leg. So technically I could just rest my arm on my leg. The armrest was useless. I saw the storage bin, and thought it might sit higher. Otherwise, I might have to void the warantee on my driver's seat, and drill a new mount for the armrest. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts