Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to light a match to this E.

Replaced the spool valve / vtec valve with a genuine honda part. Drove fine for 2 weeks and codes are back. I had a oil change with synthetic 5w-20 and checked for clogged screen behind the power steering pump.

Does anyone know the TSB for the PCM update? I need to call and see it applies to my E.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone I still have yet to resolve this. Whats the best way to check the wiring back to the PCM?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Component Description

ENGINE (PWS)
Bulletin Number

A-13-021
Bulletin Date Month

Summary

HONDA: DTC P2646/P2651 OR P2647/2652 MAY BE SET. THE ROCKER ARM OIL PRESSURE SWITCH MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK. Thanks for the info. I have already replaced the entire vtec assembly with a brand new Honda unit two weeks ago.

Replace the switch again?

Actually my code P2646 went away as it was a pendidng code that has now cleared and I am just left with P2647. My understanding is that it is that means the solenoid is stuck on. I might have gotten a bad unit from Honda?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update to this thread.

I ran a bottle of motor flush through the engine oil and let engine idle for 15 mins. Gave it an oil change and since my engine is high milage ( 165K ) I put 10w-30 in it.

No more P2647 or VTEC codes. Been running now for over 500 miles with no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn both codes came back. I'm at a loss as to whats up with this vehicle. Guess I will need to figure out how to set up a oil pressure tester on here and see

·
Registered
1 Posts
damn both codes came back. I'm at a loss as to whats up with this vehicle. Guess I will need to figure out how to set up a oil pressure tester on here and see
Have you figured it out? I have the exact same problem. How do you take a reading on the oil pressure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you figured it out? I have the exact same problem. How do you take a reading on the oil pressure?
Has anyone had any luck in fixing this issue? I have a 2010 Element with the same issue. Replaced the Variable valve Timing Oil control valve solenoid and the engine variable timing solenoid gasket, new oil change and it still did not fix the issue. My mechanic is actually refunding me the money and asked me to take it to Honda dealership. Any ideas or any luck on yours?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also been having the same issue for almost a year now. Replaced the oil pressure switch, codes came back. Replaced the whole solenoid assembly, codes came back. Mechanic replaced wiring, codes came back. Cleaned both filters on the solenoid and behind the power steering pump, codes came back. 4 oil changes in that time, codes came back. After every service or change the codes will temporarily go away but always return. The longest I've gone with no CEL and no rev limiting is about 2k miles.

Anyone know what I should try next? It's an '05 so I don't want to sink a ton into this; already spent around $700 on parts and labor. There are some reports of a faulty PCM. but that would be an expensive fix. Anyone looked into this? I'm tempted to just ground the switch....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering selling my 05 EX buy this happened once two months ago and I'm worried about it reappearing after sale. Started shaking at 4k rpms and read this code but I know literally nothing about cars so a bummer for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '03 is doing this, has been for two years off and on. Over a thousand dollars, and hundreds of hours of labor later I'm frustrated to the point of burning it to the ground. Anyone have any suggestions for good ignition points to do the job right?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,006 Posts
My '03 is doing this, has been for two years off and on. Over a thousand dollars, and hundreds of hours of labor later I'm frustrated to the point of burning it to the ground. Anyone have any suggestions for good ignition points to do the job right?
Here is a page from another thread that is currently rather active on this subject. Read in particular the posts from member Ben10 :

Hope this is helpful to you.

My '03 is sort of in limbo with the same problem; so I understand your frustration.

I wish you well! : - )

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,006 Posts
Are the issues with this P2646 been resolved
First off, Welcome to the EOC! :)

Well, it's been 10 months and about 8K miles. It just sort of fixed itself never came back!

The only changes I made were I put some Seafoam treatment in the oil before I did the first oil change (after it acted up twice), I stopped using the Rislone oil additive (the thin type; about the same viscosity as 0W20), and I changed to a higher grade Wix oil filter (from that basic Fram). That's it! It had already stopped before I did any of this, BTW.

So I still don't know what set it off ~ 10 months ago! I wish I could tell you more. One thing for sure: Whenever you get a P2646, you can't just say do ____. Any number of things can cause that problem. It seems to be the most difficult issue to track down on an Element.

Do some research on this site. Sometimes it's the VTEC solenoid, or the wiring to the VTEC Solenoid, or the screens in the engine, or .......................................

How are you doing with yours?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone had any luck in fixing this issue? I have a 2010 Element with the same issue. Replaced the Variable valve Timing Oil control valve solenoid and the engine variable timing solenoid gasket, new oil change and it still did not fix the issue. My mechanic is actually refunding me the money and asked me to take it to Honda dealership. Any ideas or any luck on yours?
Thanks!!
Was this problem ever fixed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you check the oil pressure, I pulled the oil pan on my vehicle and no carbon was found on suction screen, did same as you mentioned, replaced solenoid assy and changed oil and filter to factory spec 5 W 20 oil and Honda oil filter.
P2646 code still showed up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you check the oil pressure, I pulled the oil pan on my vehicle and no carbon was found on suction screen, did same as you mentioned, replaced solenoid assy and changed oil and filter to factory spec 5 W 20 oil and Honda oil filter.
P2646 code still showed up.
Were you able to check the oil pressure

1 - 19 of 19 Posts