Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced my control arm. some error occurred during the process. while the control arm was off, i placed a hydraulic jack under the rotor, and jack up the rotor. the reason for this errant procedure was to align three of the bolts into their rightful place. of course, the rotor and everything else slip, bend and drop!

so what damage was caused? from the picture, is the boot ok? the rod pull outward quit a bit. also, i did alot of wiggling and swinging of the spring/strut, knuckle and all thats attach. all this to get the ball joint into the control arm. what damage, if any, was caused to where the strut is bolted to the body? what about the axel and boot?

i think i know how to swap the control arms now.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Double check the boot for cracks or rips. If you find nothing then your ok, as long as it feels like the spline on the shaft reseated ok.

Dom

·
Registered
536 Posts
Control Arm

It looks as though one of your issues may have been that you have the safety stand placed under the control arm which I am sure will hinder the movement for reassembly of the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Just an observation.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i think you pulled the inner joint apart... from the looks of the boot it's extremely overextended... turn the outer hub and see if it turns the cup of the inner most joint. if it twists the boot and not the whole joint you yanked it apart.

pretty sure they're a tri-pod joint, so try to line it back up and cram it back in as they're designed to be a plunge joint on the inners to allow it to extend and contract with suspension movement. it may fight you as it's supposed to have resistance from overextending and you may have put some extra pressure on it when you jacked up the rotor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
U have to pull the spindle assembly and hold the rotor in your feet while pulling and twisting while pulling up on the axel to reseat the knuckle. Its a kseries thing I had to do it on an ep3 which shares the same suspension. It can be a pain in the rear to reseat the knuckle just take your time it will slip in like butter when its right. just be careful when putting it back in to support the rotor from flopping over it can pop out from just that. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts