Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This will be my first real post. Hope you enjoy.
:eoc:

The first mod I attempted was the Convert Side Markers to Turn Signals mod by Sheniferous. Now I don't want to take anything away from that mod because it's ingeniously elegant.

However I had another set of LED blinkers installed on the lower grill by the previous owner and they were wired poorly and not working. In analyzing the existing wiring and attempting to fix it, I decided to pull it all out and start from scratch and I'm happier with the results.

MOD RESULTS
  • Your side marker lights will be running lights, dimmed (e.g. not at full brightness)
  • Your side marker lights will flash as turn signals IN SYNC WITH the headlight turn signal (they will flash from dim to bright...not off to on)
  • You will be able to run additional lights in the same fashion (like a second turn signal)connected to this circuit as well
WARNINGS
  • This mod is designed to work with the incandescent bulbs in the side markers, at least for now. I'm pretty sure I could get it to work with LEDs, but I haven't gone down that road yet.
  • I am an engineer. This does not mean I am perfect, but I do know when to admit that I don't know what I'm doing. This is not one of those times.
  • I presume you are a competent DIY'er and can do simple electronics work and you know when you've done something wrong.
  • I am not responsible for you screwing up. (I blew a fuse accidentally when I bumped the wrong wires together, don't blame me if you make a mistake too).
  • Yes you can do this job with Scotchlocks, but really you're just being lazy if you do that. The right way to do this is to use heat-shrink crimp splice connectors (or solder and heat shrink if you want). This will keep all of the salt and road grime off of your nice copper wire and prevent it from corroding.
  • Don't heat shrink the connections until you're sure it works. In fact, using alligator clip jumper wires to test this all out before you crimp is a good way to save yourself some work.
Okay enough of that. You ready?

STEPS
  1. Understand this schematic. This is for the front left side marker light; the right side is similar but uses a different color wire.
    • If you do not have a 3rd "Aftermarket LED light", you will simply not make the connections on the right side.
    • The diodes prevent voltage from flowing back to where you don't want it to. Without the diodes, the turn signal relay would light your marker lights and your marker relay would light your turn signals. E.g., everything would be on all the time.
    • The resistor lowers the voltage to your marker light for when the marker relay is on. This will provide the difference in brightness between a full bright turn-signal flash and a half-bright marker light.
    • Schottky diodes are ideal because they have a much lower voltage drop across them and for 12V systems this prevents unnecessary voltage loss.
    • The current capability has to be sufficient to handle the current load of the bulbs, so little tiny resistors and diodes will burn up. I used 1W components but really anything over 1/4W (250mW) will work.

2. Acquire the components in the schematic. You will need
    • Qty 4 - 0.25W or greater Schottky Diodes
    • Qty 2 - 20 Ohm, 0.25W or greater resistors
    • Qty 12 or more - heat shrink crimp splice connectors
    • Qty 10ft - 18 to 22AWG wire
    • Qty a couple inches - Heat shrink tubing, ~ 1/4" - 3/8" dia
  3. Assemble the passive component (diode, resistor, diode) package as shown here. Solder the components together and wrap them in shrink tube. The package shown physically mimics the layout of the schematic. I forgot to take a picture of this before I shrink wrapped it.
  4. Disconnect your negative battery cable (you will have to reset your OEM radio and any other option mods you've set, so make sure you have the code and know how to reset your volatile memory options).

5. Carefully remove your side marker. Cut the positive (red/yel) wire and crimp-splice the package into the positive line per the schematic. Make sure you've got the right connections. Add some 22AWG hook up wire (green in my picture) to the package to complete the connection to the headlamp turn signal (later).

6. Run the hookup wire into the engine compartment to the headlamp turn signal connector. Splice in the hookup wire to the flash line (grn/red) wire going to the connector (for the right side this wire is grn/yel). You are done at this point. The picture below has extra wires showing for the additional 3rd light. You may add this per the schematic if you want.

7. To finish this off properly, crimp all the connections if you haven't already, heat shrink them down, and wrap everything in plastic conduit like this.

8. If you have chosen to add another light, I presume you are competent enough to follow my schematic. The LED I added had Hi (red), Lo (wht - though I accidentally wrote blk in my schematic:twisted:), and Gnd (blk) wires. Because the LEDs draw so little current, they will not give you the hyperflash symptoms the way this is set up because it is in parallel with the existing turn signals.
Enjoy your weekend project! :035:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Correction

MOD RESULTS
  • Your side marker lights will be running lights, dimmed (e.g. not at full brightness)
  • Your side marker lights will flash as turn signals IN SYNC WITH the headlight turn signal (they will flash from dim to bright when your marker lights are on; and flash from off to on when your marker lights are off)
  • You will be able to run additional lights in the same fashion (like a second turn signal) connected to this circuit as well, even an LED light

1 - 2 of 2 Posts