Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 10 Posts

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
xequar said:
Actually, judging from the conversation over here, it appears that it just requires adding the requisite AWD elements to the 2wd setup. The goal over there was to make an AWD into a 2wd, and all that seems to involve is removing the AWD components and putting a blockoff plate in place of one of the parts. Like I said, it seems pretty doable judging from that conversation.

Now, for kicks and grins, I'll ask why you want the AWD. It's quite unnecessary for winter driving, even in Michigan, and you pay a mileage penalty to have it. I mean, if you want it, good and grand, but I mention these things for your consideration... :)

If only it was that easy.....comparing part numbers the diff and torque converter housing are completely different.Converting 4wd to 2wd maybe.But 2wd to 4wd requires alot more than just bolting on parts.

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
Grannysmuncher said:
In any case, I think it wouldn't be that difficult to swap from 2WD to 4WD. For the factory to be cranking out two completely different transmissions, diffs., and other assorted parts that were mentioned previously wouldn't exactly be friendly to the vehicle's end cost, as two different transmissions would require two different sets of workers turning out two different parts for two different drivetra--...you get the point.

I'd think that it'd just be a matter of adding the requisite parts and setting them up correctly. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

Trust me in 19 years with Honda...its not uncommon for Honda to use more than one tranny for a car.They have been doing it for years.In this case its more than just removing a block off plate.The whole case has to be changed......

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
I have access to perhaps all the parts needed from a 2005 e to upgrade my 2004 e to awd.

Anyone has all the parts list?
Thanks,
Here is a partial list.

Prop shaft.
Both rear axles.
Rear diff assembly.
Transmission with transfer assembly.

Also, is it worth it?
How badly do you want/need a 4wd E?

If you need/want one would this be easier and cheaper than trading for one that has 4wd?

Are you doing the work yourself or paying someone to do it?

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
Funny how some people think a modification like making an Element AWD is a huge thing and not worth it...

I'd say with the number of CRV's in wrecking yards it would be fairly cheap and easy to get the rear end, driveshaft, half shafts, the transfer case and all the required brackets etc. - then you will just need the diff bolts and additional ring gear, you will have to crack the trans to install those but other than that everything else should just bolt right in - a few hours work after you get the trans back in!

Only other thing I can think of is to verify the final drive in the SC tranny is the same as the rear end - I think I saw a post that said all E's have the same final drive.

I have thought about swapping my SC to AWD - Maybe one day.
With a manual trans there is a block off plate that is removed to allow the installation of the transfer assembey. Auto models have a different torque converter housing for FWD and 4wd which will make changing the TC housing a requirement on AT models.

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
I've found an 04 auto crv that I can strip hopefully tomorrow. I have an auto and from what I can tell there is A plate on the auto trans which is removed so the the transfer knuckle can mate with the transmission. This is the first I've heard about swapping the tv housing. Sounds like a big job.

You can see for yourself at www.hondapartsdeals.com that the TC housings are different for FWD and 4WD. The FWD trans looks like it is cast to accept the transfer unit but there isn't a cover to remove. If i recall correctly the last time i was under a FWD E the holes in the case where the transfer would mount are not even threaded.

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
Has anyone taken photos of the bottom of an AWD and an SC 2WD? Just curious about the carrier for the bearing. I wonder if it's something that can easily be bolted on or if you'd have to take measurements and figure out where to put it. My guess is there are pre market locations for it since there are wholes where I suspect the carrier mounts. If not getting it lined up might be an issue. Even being slightly off could cause premature bearing failure.

I guess I'm still not seeing why it would be expensive and difficult to convert a 5MT SC to AWD from a wrecked AWD element, especially since it's not electronic.

Guess I'll have to look into used parts prices.

Manual trans E's are fairly straight forward. The diff has to come out to add the needed gear to drive the transfer and remove a block off cover. The auto is where the headaches begin.

· Retired.
13,245 Posts
1 - 9 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.