Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted to electric? Looking for a project for my students and was thinking it would be a cool idea to convert my element to battery powered- long shot!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I think I would start with something lighter and more aerodynamic!

The E is heavy to start with. REMOVAL OF THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION WILL HELP SOME. However, the weight of the motor/motors and Battery's required to move it's mass would negate any gains.

Dom

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm with Dom. The E is heavy for such a conversion.

I'd look for a small sedan, think the size of a Civic. The plus, is you don't need one with a working engine. You just need a functioning or repairable MT (to keep the project easy).

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
As the resident electric car owner... no, the E has too much superstructure to be an efficient EV. There's also the structure limitation - if your budget only allows for lead-acid, the 500# load limit means you only have enough hauling capacity for roughly 9000 Watt-Hours of storage. 12HP for an hour, not counting conversion losses. IOW, not much.

By far the best base for a project EV like this is a small pickup truck like a Ford Ranger or Chevy S10. In fact, for a short time there were electric versions of these produced.

Now here's a thought I've had if you're interested in running with it... use the 4WD version as a platform for a true dual-mode PHEV. Fabricate an electric motor/clutch system to replace the RWD clutch pack, while leaving the front intact as a full-blown 2WD ICE. Low speeds and short distances, run on the electric, then switch to the gasser to go like a normal vehicle.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I think the Element is a PERFECT candidate for conversion to an electric car. Sure the E is heavy and not so aerodynamic but your the average daily commute it's utility is an advantage. I've been thinking of this too. 4 in-wheel motors. There's a company in England that makes in-wheel motors generating 160 hp each. The flat floor of the Element is the car design of the future. As it is now a flat battery pkg. can be mounted beneath the chassis. The gas tank is there already, this would make changing out the battery as easy as hanging the oil. Now consider that you don't need the engine, drivetrain, or the exhaust and you bring down the weight of the Element. The long flat roof is also a good place to put a solar panel. There a prototype mini like this, I think the company is called PHL.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I bought a 1982 Datsun 210 with the intention of an electric conversion project. It sat, waiting for the spare time to devote to it until someone offered me a lot more than it could ever be worth and I let it go. Now that I have more time, I might look into this project again. It is the future.:D

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think the Element is a PERFECT candidate for conversion to an electric car. ... As it is now a flat battery pkg. can be mounted beneath the chassis.
Have you ever priced out a Lithium pack? $$$$$$ That's what you'd need to make a flat pack that sits were the fuel tank currently sits. I think that's why it hasn't been done yet. Lead acid is still the affordable route and those batteries are not very flat.

I dreamed of making an electric car once. I realized it would cost more than I can afford right now. It's on my list of things to do one day though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have started a all battery ? powered landscaping business using top of the line STIHL equipment! I am using the fact that it’s quiet ? and doesn’t wake anyone up while we are cutting ones grass. Unlike other gas power landscaping business! We have all been there you trying to sleep in and the landscaping guys wake you up around 7-8 in the morning with their super loud not eco friendly 2 stroke engine!!! Lol and business is picking up!!!! If you live in south Florida give me a call and I could come give you a quote lol VALEBAT LAWN CARE a quiet mowing experience 754-666-3255..

The only Thing is that I use my awesome element for work! And I love this car my engine started to give some problems now they has over 150,000 miles!!! But I am not ready Retired my beautiful lifted raptor painted all custom element!!! And since some customers already mentioned that I should be driving an electric vehicle to match my business model, for the past two months I have been searching and searching on how or even if it’s possible to make my five your partner Honda element into a car of the future lol with?!!!! Please if anyone has done it contact me!!!
I’m surprised your engine is giving you problems at 150k. Mine has 160k and feels like the engine just got broken in.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend aero upgrades such as front grill redesign, under plates, rear wheel spat or air curtains, low roll resistant tires, and excess weight reduction, etc. I would consider it a larger overhaul to design. This would make and interesting convention though and a good challenge for students. Expect an ideal range at or below 80 mile considering design. Best of luck.

Hybrid conversion may serve as feasible alternative approach too.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,703 Posts
See my sig line...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts