Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Do the convex mirrors help with pedestrians? I haven't had any issues with other vehicles, but I've had two incidents with pedestrians while backing up. No one got even close to being hit but I still feel that if conditions had been a little different it might have been a bad day for everyone. What scares me is I feel I am being careful. I'm going to have reverse gear anxiety attacks. Someone was telling me about rearview mirrors that streach across the whole windshield. Has anyone tried these? Maybe I need one of those mini cameras that attaches to the rear of the car and displays the image on a screen inside.

· Registered
253 Posts
I have a habit of backing into things anyway, so one day while I was cautiously backing up, looking into my little mirrors, I ran straight into a newspaper box. It was behind and slightly to the right. I was so cautios that I didn't back far enough out of the driveway :!:

· Registered
3 Posts
I've had my Element now almost a week and for the first time I had the back seats up. With those seats up I couldn't see anything on my right side so I'm wasting no time in getting those little convex mirrors. Definately a worthy purchase.

· Registered
82 Posts
i didn't want to put the convex mirrors on because of... well, didn't want to put those funny little mirrors on my beautiful E. But in the end, i did and it's great. 1.39 each at pep boys. a friend of mine put the same ones on her civic years ago and they still look nice, okay a litte corroded along the edges, but not too noticeable. but then we live in SoCal where it's pretty temperate.

anyway, i agree with the posters above. even with adjusting my mirrors like the car talk guys said AND looking over my shoulder (those drives training classes in high school are still with me twenty years later) i almost hit two very low profile cars (once a mini cooper, and once a bug). so i promptly went out and attached the little mirrors. so now those little buggers, excuse the pun, are within sight.

· Registered
176 Posts
[quote:a0b13e546c="Bart Thomas"]There's a very helpful discussion about setting your mirrors on Car Talk.

It can be seen at:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2002/November/07.html[/quote:a0b13e546c]

Bart- great link! Wish i'd seen it before i stuck a convex mirror on my driver's side rearview.

To all- check out that link, it makes sense and is amazing at how uneffective "traditional" mirror placement is. I've been using this placement for 2 solid weeks now, and love it.

· Registered
79 Posts
I found the blind spots on my "E" very daunting, especially when trying to change lanes on the interstate. I installed some rectangular convex mirrors (Auto Zone) and they are great! They even look like they belong there because they are square rather than round. I now use them almost exclusively to change lanes. WHEN IS HONDA GOING TO OFFER US SOME CONVEX REPLACEMENT MIRRORS?? The "E" is the only car I have ever owned in over 40 years of driving that I have ever backed into something with. It was a dumpster and it cut my rear bumper. The good news was that the whole center panel of the rear bumper was only $40. Be careful! By the way, I now see another Element every day while driving here in South Florida. Sometimes three! :D

· Registered
24 Posts
I installed the convex mirrors on the outside top of the mirror, wow what a difference. Even my wife who was not to thrilled to get them on after 1 day came home and said they made the biggest difference with regards to the blind spots, of which the E has a lot of.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.