Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Test drove an '03 DX AWD the other day. The car was immaculately maintained and a joy to drive. I bought it in spite of a coolant drip that appeared to be coming from the the drain plug or the lower hose clamp.

I had just driven the car for fifteen or twenty minutes, around town and on the parkway to about 65 mph. After parking I noticed the coolant drip. The fluid was cold. Evidently the radiator is relatively new, along with the rest of the engine, installed by Honda.

I need to pick up the car within a few days, driving 50 miles home. Should I risk bringing a couple of bottles of Honda Coolant and driving it home with the drip?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would recommend having the radiator rechecked. If this was done by a repair shop, insist having them take a 2nd look. Its possible that the drain plug or hose clamp could be loose but it also could be too tight and cracking the plastic end tanks. The radiator isn't too expensive but if you take a chance and drive home and have an overheating issue the repair could get expensive quick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I get at the drain plug and clamps? There's a plastic shield beneath the frame. I can pop the fasteners and remove it. Do I need to put the front end on axle stands?

·
Registered
348 Posts
While I haven't done this on the E, see where the drip is coming from first (plug, hose, hose clamp, radiator ). You should be able to see this from the top underneath the hood. The plug and hose fiiting is on slightly different sides.

If it is on the bottom, you may be able to squeeze underneath but you may need ramps....Good luck. Hope its simple.....

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
The drain plug can be reached through the opening in the lower plastic trim, its located in the center. In order to gain access to the lower radiator hose, you will have to remove the lower trim. The lower hose is on the passenger side. If the lower radiator hose clamp is oem, you will need a pair of pliers but I have seen where that clamp doesnt have enough tension and doesnt seal properly. Hopefully there will be a screw type clamp which requires an 8mm or a flathead screwdriver. Be sure not to over tighten. Also you shouldnt use any tools to tighten the drain plug either to prevent any damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drove the vehicle home, Long Island to Connecticut via Throgs Neck, I95, Hutch, I684 and I84. Classic rush hour traffic. Temp gage read at 40% the whole way, with the air conditioning blasting cold.

Still had a drip once home. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Wow, this car is fun to drive. Can't wait to load my surfboards and catch the next swell.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Drove the vehicle home, Long Island to Connecticut via Throgs Neck, I95, Hutch, I684 and I84. Classic rush hour traffic. Temp gage read at 40% the whole way, with the air conditioning blasting cold.

Still had a drip once home. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Wow, this car is fun to drive. Can't wait to load my surfboards and catch the next swell.
just remember to keep toping off the coolant,,,and never open the radiator cap when the car is hot,, DO NOT OVERHEAT THE MOTOR

·
Registered
87 Posts
"I had just driven the car for fifteen or twenty minutes, around town and on the parkway to about 65 mph. After parking I noticed the coolant drip. The fluid was cold"

"Drove the vehicle home, Long Island to Connecticut via Throgs Neck, I95, Hutch, I684 and I84.....with the air conditioning blasting cold. Still had a drip once home."

What does the fluid look like? If it is clear water, it could be condensation dripping off of the A/C lines or the evaporator drain, which would be normal. Have you had to add coolant?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I missed that. Leave a sheet of white paper under the drip and see what color the fluid is.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 2006 coolant is NOT blue. That BLUE should be windshield washer fluid.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks Big Smokes........

I just looked and I am wrong. It is BLUE in color. Must have got the color mixed up with one of my other cars. .........

Thanks again..........

·
Registered
44 Posts
My guesss is that it is from the lower radiator hose connection to radiator. The hoses can deteriorate and seep or it is a clamp issue. Get in there and find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guesss is that it is from the lower radiator hose connection to radiator. The hoses can deteriorate and seep or it is a clamp issue. Get in there and find out.
The lower hose clamp just needed adjustment. Drove 120 miles today. No drip.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Me personally, I wouldn't trust a hose clamp that's come loose. Replace it. It's cheap. And since you're in there, might as well replace the hoses. The car's 7 years old. It can't hurt. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me personally, I wouldn't trust a hose clamp that's come loose. Replace it. It's cheap. And since you're in there, might as well replace the hoses. The car's 7 years old. It can't hurt. Cheap insurance.
All new parts, just needed some wiggling. Thanks, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts