Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my coolant res. today and it was empty...I mean empty, but never checked it before. 1. What could it be and 2. Is there an alternative to the honda coolant Ive read other threads that say to use the honda coolant only...but the nearest honda dealer is 40 mi. away. Im looking to fill it today. thanks EOC

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Did you look into the radiator and see if it was full? If not wait until its cool and take off the cap and see how low it is. If you have a leak it will show up under the engine bay or just may be sweating out and it should leave a stain where that is. As for the Honda coolant look and see if yours is blue and if it is try to get the same. If its green Get a brand like Prestone that will work with aluminum. If it is the original you might look into getting it changed and go with the factory coolant.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I checked my coolant res. today and it was empty...I mean empty, but never checked it before. 1. What could it be and 2. Is there an alternative to the honda coolant Ive read other threads that say to use the honda coolant only...but the nearest honda dealer is 40 mi. away. Im looking to fill it today. thanks EOC
Any ethel glycol based coolant will work, as for color it should be any color other then orange which is silicone based(dexcool). I doubt, but have no proof that the honda coolant is any different any other green coolant. I have seen blue, green, yellow, and lime green coolants, some times from the same company, in the same case. Fords coolant would come mostly blue, but the stuff from the factory was green. If you have a doubt flush it as slimmerdogs said, after you get where you need to.

chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
My overflow was bone dry as well last week. In fact its been dry for awhile. I took it to the dealership for my maint. and questioned it. They said that the radiator was full so thats all that mattered. It still bothered me so I let the car cool and checked the radiator a month later. It was almost the the neck so I topped it off and added just enough coolant to the overflow to bring it to the min line. All is well, and I am guessing it is just from evaporating some but there arent any leaks. BTW I added honda coolant to the car but thats not what was in it so I mixed. just follow the posts above for type.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And this dealer was ... ?
Williams Honda. I have never had a problem with them and I always thought they did a a great job with all maint./repairs so I never questioned it but it was always in the back of my head so I did something about it and just did it myself. Maybe they forgot about it and they threw me the line that everything was checked and fine even though that was my specific concern. It irks me now a bit but I have been keeping an eye on the level and all is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts