Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new tires, and my mechanic recommended Coopers. Got 2 for the front and they ride great & have great ratings.

Tried tirerack.com, but they didn't have Coopers.

Anybody have anything bad to say about Coopers?

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
The Coopers I have wouldn't work well in FL, because they are studded, but, I've run three winters on them and I am seriously thinking about Coopers for my summer set (since it's time..... :-( ).

I have nothing but great comments - good price, great grip, and, so far VERY good tread wear. You can get them without studs..... :shock::roll::razz::razz:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Just got some new tires, and my mechanic recommended Coopers. Got 2 for the front and they ride great & have great ratings.

Tried tirerack.com, but they didn't have Coopers.

Anybody have anything bad to say about Coopers?
Only because you asked. Last time I ran Coopers was on a Chevy Blazer back in '73. They had a very open, aggressive tread for winter (I was out in the boonies running a route at 2-4am with no support) and all 4 tires suffered fatal tread separations and blowouts in the first winter. I hope they're better quality by now but I've never bought another Cooper tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the Discover model...
hopefully, they fixed their tread separation problems by now.
thanks all.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
got the Discover model...
sorry....which one?

Discoverer H/T - generally a "highway" all season tire
Discoverer ATR- sort of a mordern-mild All Terrain
Discoverer S/T-traditional "aggressive" All Terain
Discover STT- mud terrain (this used to be called the SST....I used 'em on 1 ton work trucks, and they were great....off road... but were kinda slipery on asphault)

and they have other is the "Discoverer" line too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had the Discoverer ATR on both '05 Elements we had and have used them on three full sized pickup trucks. Good all around handling. Great rain tire, good snow tire, fair mud tire and in all the miles on five vehicles I never had to have one re-balanced. Biggest drawback to all Cooper tires is high rolling resistance which costs 2 to 5% in gas mileage, but this is due in part to their heavy sidewalls. I like heavy sidewalls as they help avoid punctures form gravel, rocks and sticks.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Biggest drawback to all Cooper tires is high rolling resistance which costs 2 to 5% in gas mileage, but this is due in part to their heavy sidewalls. I like heavy sidewalls as they help avoid punctures form gravel, rocks and sticks.
my mpg was still ok on my Element....just a very slight drop. (my tire size changed a bit, but I adjusted via using my gps for acurate mileage calculations) The sidewall on my Element's ATRs took a good beating w/ no problems.

The sidewalls on my 1 ton Dodge Dually's Discoverer S/Ts and Discoverer SST took absolutely brutal abuse and had no problems at all. The were a "heavier" tire of course, for that aplication, but the still did way better than they should have. FWIW, when the factory Mich LTXs (terrible on all but asphault) were finially swaped for the Cooper S/Ts the fuel economy dropped from about 14mpg to 10mpg! (diesel)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts