Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that corrosion indicating a problem that would cause you not to buy the Element?

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's kind of odd; obviously the corrosion is where paint used to be on the valve cover, but it looks like all the other metal/steel clamps and fittings aren't rusty, which would usually be a good indication the car has lived where they salt the roads a lot. But getting back to your question -- I don't think that corrosion on the valve cover will affect anything functionally (everyone else please feel free to chime in on this too), and if the rest of the car is largely rust/corrosion free, I'd say you're okay. It is probably just a cosmetic issue that you'll only see when you're under the hood.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was under the element for sale with 149,000 miles from Texas in South Carolina now. The back bumper metal is rusty. But the rest no rust in general except surface rust on some weld points. Not bad for 17 years on the road. The seller wants $4,000 but there are other elements to buy for less money. This is a 2 wheel drive no moon roof and no trailer hitch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A lot of them I've seen have this type of corrosion, although the first picture looks worst than most. As long as you're not leaking oil from it, it should be OK. That is not just paint, it must be some type of powder coating - I took two to a powder coater who couldn't get all the old coating off, even with some aggressive abrasive. On one of them, I blended the edges of remaining coating and painted it with silver engine paint. The other one I took to a second shop that was able to get the rest off, he powder coated it candy blue. I'll post a picture when I pick it up. I also plan to get a silver intake cover from a TSX to replace the black one used on the E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts