Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The D was flashing a few months ago but stopped when I restarted the car. I didn't see it again until a week ago when the same thing happened. I had the transmission serviced at the dealer during a major service but the light came on again. It is not flashing now but the E is going to the tranny shop tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for a worst case scenario. Any idea of rebuild cost?

The code is P0847 which is related to the 3rd gear pressure switch, so I hope it is not a total rebuild.

Thanks.

PS: 99,900 miles on it.

·
12,179 Posts
The D was flashing a few months ago but stopped when I restarted the car. I didn't see it again until a week ago when the same thing happened. I had the transmission serviced at the dealer during a major service but the light came on again. It is not flashing now but the E is going to the tranny shop tomorrow. I'm preparing myself for a worst case scenario. Any idea of rebuild cost?

The code is P0847 which is related to the 3rd gear pressure switch, so I hope it is not a total rebuild.

Thanks.

PS: 99,900 miles on it.

The 3rd pressure switch is located on the outside of the tranny and can be done as a DYI replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, is there an on-line diagram you can point me to? I couldn't find a workshop manual for the E.

·
Registered
98 Posts
3rd gear pressure switch

I had this replaced on my Element a few months ago at around 65,ooo miles -- $50 part, $150 labor (I didn't even look to see if it was a DIY job). This is the first auto trans vehicle I've owned, so I was braced for the worst...glad it was only $200. This seems to be a very common failure on these Elements, judging by the number of members here who have replaced the pressure switch.
Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other than the light what if any were the other symptoms? G/F says engine is revving but not accelerating correctly. Shop in Fairfax, Va. says $3,500 job to fix. Car blue books at $3,000 so no brainer to get rid of it vice have work done for that price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I wouldn't call that a no brainer. The Element is an excellent vehicle. If it is paid for why get rid of it? If it needs a tranny thats 3500 bucks and after that you have yourself a good car. Otherwise you sell the Element needing a new tranny for 1500, and buy another car. Add the 1500 to the 3500 for the work and the question is can you get a better car for 5k? You can't ethically sell the Element without revealing a problem like that, right? You could get a junkyard tranny for less, I'm sure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Other than the light what if any were the other symptoms? G/F says engine is revving but not accelerating correctly. Shop in Fairfax, Va. says $3,500 job to fix. Car blue books at $3,000 so no brainer to get rid of it vice have work done for that price.
My first reaction would be to take the vehicle to two other shops and get their diagnosis and estimate; you would want to know if it really needs a $3500 job or if someone is banking on your ignorance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts