Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5spd manual AWD 2004 Element.

Recently had severe "clunking" and vibration in the left front (driver side). Thought it was the axle assembly, so I ordered the part over the internet (Cardone OEM quality replacement). That helped the vibration, but clunking got worse. Took E to my local dealer here in Falls Church VA (Bill Page Honda) - they said needs the whole tranny replaced at $4700!

I only have 53K on the vehicle so I lodged a case with American Honda (USA corporate) even though I am out of warranty. After a week the dealer called me back with pretty good accommodation from Honda corporate - they will replace with a completely new tranny (not remanufactured) for $1610!

Dealership said that since the tranny will be replaced this is a good time to replace clutch since they will only charge me for clutch parts - they quoted a new clutch (no flywheel) at $800 just for parts. This seems excessive. Thoughts?

I hate getting gouged at the dealership for "genuine Honda parts". When I asked for price of replacement left front axle assembly they quoted $307. Yet, the Cardone OEM quality replacement axle assembly was $75 + s/h. When I search on the internet for a quality clutch kit replacement (excl flywheel) the price is $250 (Daikin brand). Is this parts quote of $800 from the dealership even in the realm of fair?

Thanks for your thoughts + input!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did they give you an itemized quote or just blanket figures?? The Honda suggested retail for the clutch disc, P/P, T/O brg, and pilot brg is $362.71. You would also need a few quarts of transmission fluid. A new transmission retails for $2544.85 so $1610.00 is a good deal, warning there only shows to be one available at the moment. As for the axle a new one lists for $278.58 or Honda offers quality reman. units for $183.33. Bear in mind the prices I just quoted are Honda's SUGGESTED retail prices and dealers are not obligated to abide by them. How much was the labor quote? Their offer probably means that the district service rep was contacted and authorized a partial goodwill coverage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny and clutch replacement 5 spd manual AWD

AK Runner - thanks for your reply. The dealership (Bill Page - Falls Church VA) said that $800 was their price for a replacement on the clutch parts (w/out flywheel so I guess that's for the clutch disc and the cover/plate - they really just gave me a "blanket" price.

As expected they won't install parts that I source. The Honda dealerships around here just seem ready to gouge customers any way they can. Perhaps, not enough people flag them on this, and just pay the asking prices.

When they pull the tranny next Monday they're supposed to look at the current clutch (with 53K miles) and give me a fuller report. Yet, at this point I really don't trust them especially given the original estimate of $4700 + taxes for the MT 5 spd tranny replacement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not going to completely defend the dealership, but the service reps at the front counter are not mechanics. I find like anything there are good ones and not so good ones. I know at my Toyota dealer when I get my timing belt changed that I change all the belts to save installation costs , since they have to be removed to replace the timing belt. Not one service rep knew that, and I think my dealer is a good one. Your issue with parts from another source puts the dealer in a bind, as the dealer is the one that grants a warranty for the repairs. I think it is fair to allow the dealer to make his profit on those parts as part of the warranty. If the part costs are out of line I go somewhere else. This is just my opinion, and I hope you are able to get the low end cost for your clutch. Be sure they replace the throughout bearing!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go to (or call) the parts dept. at the dealer and ask them to price the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. This will tell you if the service adviser is being straight with you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to (or call) the parts dept. at the dealer and ask them to price the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. This will tell you if the service adviser is being straight with you.
Thanks, Flatlander - that's a very good idea.

"OEM replacement" clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing - Daikin brand) on the internet is about $260.

I will check w/local dealer parts dept though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further accommodation from Honda dealer + American Honda

Just got a call from the dealership.

They are now going to change the clutch disk, pressure plate, and main bearing for about $160 (parts, no labor because tranny coming out). This is obviously below suggested list for these parts, so I'm pretty happy with what Honda corporate and Bill Page Honda are doing for me.

Between the accommodation on the 5 spd manual tranny replacement - originally quoted by the dealership at $4700 (now $1610 due to accommodation by American Honda) and the clutch parts - originally quoted at $800 (now $160 with accommodation), I'm feeling much better about American Honda and the local dealership.

Still have to wonder why the original transmission would go bad at 53K, though.

Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, sounds like they're doin' you right. I'm not sure why the trans would go out that early either, but it sounds like you're gonna come out ahead regardless.

·
Registered
72 Posts
GOOD DEAL....

I replaced one on my '05 right before I totaled it and it was $1190.

It looked like the parts alone were just under $400.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Replacement Seattle

My clutch failed at 168,000 miles. I took it to North Seattle Transmission and they quoted me nearly $1,800 for parts and labor. Labor was $895, Parts were $595.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My clutch failed at 168,000 miles. I took it to North Seattle Transmission and they quoted me nearly $1,800 for parts and labor. Labor was $895, Parts were $595.
Did you get it replaced already? If so: what kind of parts were replaced ? just the clutch?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts