Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good buddy thats a car guy. He owns 2 Chevy's, 3 Fords and an Acura. He swears by Costco for tires.

Anyone here ever use Costco? I have a 2007 EX with 43,000 miles on the stock Goodyears but they are shot. What brand tires did you buy from Costco and how was the pricing? Did they chew up your rims when they mounted the new tires? Can they re-use the original TPMS sensors and stems in the rims or do you need to buy new ones and then get Honda to program them?

Thanks in advance. Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you do a search, you should find tons of info about this. That said, I've bought tires from Costco for years and have always been happy with the price and level of service. There is usually a bit of a line, but the Costco isn't far from my work, so I just drop it off.

The Element seems to use an odd sized tire, so when I went there I only had one tire to choose from for the E. That always seems to be the big drawback with Costco, their selection isn't the greatest. I ended up going down the street to a different tire shop. Usually they have more than one tire for our size and I know that a lot of people have been very happy with the Michelins purchased from Costco.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
No problem and nobody can beat the Costco price.

I have put Michelin HydroEdges on all four of my Hondas through Costco.

See my sig block for the cars...

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hate costco for tires, they say you have a warranty for road damage, and when you take it in for the damage, they always said it was too big to be repaired, even if it's a nail or screw damage, then they'd refuse to repair it and insist I bought a brand new one, then tell me how the other tires wouldn't match so they'd only sell me 4 new ones... also, they won't let you have any type besides the all weather or economy tires, they will not sel you a larger or smaller tire. They can only sell the stock equipment.

I bought 4 sets of 4 tires from them, had the same problem every time. Never again. I found out that spending $150 a tire is worth it and $60 tires definitly act like cheap tires. Ya get what ya pay for

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm just shocked your GYs lasted 43k miles! :shock:

Only experience I had with Costco tires was when I blew a tire out of state and that was the only place open on a late Sunday afternoon. They were unable to repair it and I had to purchase 2 tires, but the prices and service were excellent. In NJ, no less! :razz:

Anyway, check out the following links for alternative tire sizes. You will find many here ride different than stock size not only because you have many more options, but because the ride is much better.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/e/tire_charts.htm

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
557 Posts
They were unable to repair it and I had to purchase 2 tires, but the prices and service were excellent.
Exactly the problem I had every time. Take it to any other tire shop and they will be glad to fix it for $10 or less. Every time it's taken to Costco, they want to sell you a new tire, and tell you it's "unfixable":-x

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
COSTCO Wholesale...

...because more stuff makes YOU a better person.

* I buy their tires too. Happy with them.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Exactly the problem I had every time. Take it to any other tire shop and they will be glad to fix it for $10 or less. Every time it's taken to Costco, they want to sell you a new tire, and tell you it's "unfixable":-x
Why I shop at Discount Tire. Most areas they fix your flat for free, even if you didn't buy your tires there. And they will match any advertised prices.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll give another recommendation for discount tire.

They will match any price (including online, but they will match online+shipping) and you get lifetime balancing, rotation, and flat repairs. They always try and sell you "repalcement certificates" which I always pass on though. I'm anal about my tire balance, and being able to take them back at any time and say "rebalance these please" is nice.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
that's a good point. Discount Tire will fix/replace/check/rotate your tires most any time you drop by and ask. they even fixed a tire on my father in law's car when he was out visiting us. no charge. they had never seen the car before and it has out of state plates.
Costco will only do the rotation at their specified intervals. if you come in 500 miles early, they'll send you back out to put on more miles.
other than that, i've been happy w/ the tires i bought at Costco. and i've been happy w/ the tires i bought at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Costco not really cheap...or polite

I just spent about an hour calling all the tire shops around my area in Minneapolis. All the mom and pop shops were quite nice and happy to help me get quotes whereas the Costco employee acted like my call was wasting his time.
The Michelins Costco quoted me were $779 installed...after reading a lot of these posts, apparently Costco has been bumping these tires up in price steadily...I just read someone's post where he was upset because he paid around $670 for the Costco Michelin option that were apparently much cheaper the last time he bought them at Costco.
Costco also had a BF Goodrich option for $508, but I didn't see those recommended in any group reviews and that's about the price I could get well-reviewed tires from the mom and pops, so I think I will be taking my business away from the gigantic corporation on this one and give it to a local business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with the BFG tires from costco and I'm happy with them
so far.I priced out tires at the local tire shops and once again costco
received my business.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
... the Costco employee acted like my call was wasting his time.
They're all like that, and in a sort of really crummy reality, you were - you could have priced them online. Anyway, there's never a front desk person, it's the techs answering the phones. They are always swamped and time spent on the phone or at the front counter answering questions means the queue backs up even that much more. No, not ideal, but to get the price you sort of have to work around the lack of enthusiasm in the personal customer interface.
The Michelins Costco quoted me were $779 installed...after reading a lot of these posts, apparently Costco has been bumping these tires up in price steadily...
No, not Costco - Michelin. Get quotes of the LTX M/S elsewhere and get used to the sticker shock. Nobody I found can do better on this tire, even Tire Rack.

Costco shows a much less expensive ($106/ea.) Michelin online, but you can probably count on it not being in stock. :neutral:

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
...........Costco shows a much less expensive ($106/ea.) Michelin online, but you can probably count on it not being in stock. :neutral:
Costco carries very little in stock. All my tires had to be ordered. So, I go back a few days later and have my tires installed.

BTW, I shod all 4 Hondas with 90,000 mile Micheline Hydroedges!

I won't be buying tires for a long time...

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you are looking for Michelin LTX M/S for E, you should consider go up size to 225/70/16. The differences in diameter is only 0.5". They are normally ~$20 cheaper per tire, since it is more popular size. Plus you could get Black letters with 225, but only white letter with 215.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They're all like that, and in a sort of really crummy reality, you were - you could have priced them online. Anyway, there's never a front desk person, it's the techs answering the phones. They are always swamped and time spent on the phone or at the front counter answering questions means the queue backs up even that much more. No, not ideal, but to get the price you sort of have to work around the lack of enthusiasm in the personal customer interface. :neutral:
Explanations for their rudeness aside, my point was that although Costco is a megastore known to have "substantially lower prices," neither of the two options they gave me for my Element were lower than the mom and pop stores' offerings of tires that had online reviews of at least as good or better...but for those who appreciate the convenience of getting their 5 gallon jug of mayonnaise while their tires are mounted, maybe it's worth it...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts