Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will one of the 'camping cot' type of cots fit inside the E? It seems like a good way to sleep in the back if you take the seat(s) out of the way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Will one of the 'camping cot' type of cots fit inside the E? It seems like a good way to sleep in the back if you take the seat(s) out of the way.
Belated response to your question, but for others looking for a simple "sleep in the back of my E comfortably with little mess" I'll post anyway for others who might be considering a cot.:lol:

Yes, a cot will fit as long as you don't buy one of those super long 84-90" long suckers. I am 6'3" and have a steel framed cot with a 1 1/2" foam mattress. The cot has spring tension that the foam sits on and is super comfy. It's 75" long and 30" wide. I got it at Ikea long ago (like 10 years ago), but the same exact model is still sold today at WalMart for $69.99.

Fold the back seats up, move the front seats all the way forward, and tilt the seat backs forward. Put the cot in the back and you are set to go. The legs that sit on the floor up by the front seats may have to be supported with a piece of wood or some such to not have the feet lower than the head. I just fold my legging bar of the cot under a bit and rest that end of the cot on the seatbacks to make the cot stay in place. Works like a charm for me.

Here's the cot I own...

WalMart has several cots to choose between (for various heights and various weights). I find the spring tension cots to be much more comfortable than cots with stretched canvas or stretched "high tech" material. Cabela's sells an adjustable legging cot called the "lounge cot" that would easily handle the different level surface up by the front seats of the E. It's a bit longer, so measure to make sure it would fit.

Other cots might fit better around the front seats, but mine works just fine - so why change what works. Gear and clothing can be stored underneath the cot once it's folded out. I use this set up at bike races for camping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excited about the cot idea.

Currently, I have 2 big 4" foam slabs which I have cut the outsides to conform with the sides of the E, with the uniform seam down the middle. I throw a Mexican blanket on the top and viola, a big, comfy sleeping area. Fits me, the GF, and my dog curled up down by the middle console between our feet.

Works well. However, the whole back becomes a foam island that doesn't deflate. All the gear is piled on the bed (all that can't fit in the Yakima box up top). I can fold it up to the sides, but...

However, for a lot of 1-man-and-his-dog camping, I like the idea of a cot.

This style:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Folding-Cot/dp/B002N2VYB2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1339607986&sr=8-10&keywords=folding+cot[/ame]
or the similar that WallyWorld sells.

Having storage underneath. It folds up. Lots of room for my pooch to spread out, maybe under...

Not opposed to using 1 side of my foam option, or busting out my thermarest, but this could be cool...

·
Registered
3 Posts
$95 red & grey cot from Wally world worked in my 2008 element. Front seats folded down with headrests removed. This left plenty of room under the cot for gear storage. Only sleeps one but did a nice job with a sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Price was about half of the Kingdom 3 Cot from R E I. Added a home made no-sew window screen set for passenger, driver door and sunroof from eBay magnets, gorilla tape and one of those inexpensive magnet screen door sets that split down the middle. About $25 all in on those. Not bad for $125👍

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts