Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I like this tent:
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Lodge-Square-Dome-Tent/dp/B000IU11SM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2NCDTU7JZ1QF2&colid=12X59PDT15V5I

however, I cannot locate any specification that relates to the size of the opening that attaches to the vehicle.
I would prefer to attach the tent over the side doors as opposed to the rear hatch and tail gate.
I sleep on the passenger side seats and would like to be able to exit the vehicle into a sheltered space.
I prefer to lock myself in during the night for security.
Since the rear hatch/tail gate do not open from the inside,
upon rising I would not be able to exit through the back into the tent.
So, I thought that attaching the tent over the side doors would solve that problem.
I will greatly appreciate all coments on and/or criticisms of the feasibility of this idea.:):)

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's a pretty cool tent. It's hard to say from the info given if it would fit over the side door opening. It's kind of a universal fit I guess, which probably means it would fit most SUV openings. Probably. Most.

There are a number of threads I've seen lately on the subject of DIY inside latches/releases for the back hatch. That's definitely something I want to explore, and it sounds as if you're in the market for such a mod too. Do some searching and check it out!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
First, Texsport, tends to be near the bottom when it comes to quality. What's the floor made of? Poly tarp material?

Second, what kind of attachment do you want? Rain proof? bug proof? or just private?

I doubt if the sleeve is wide enough to include both side doors when open. It should though cover just the front door. But if there isn't a flap that extends some distance onto the roof it won't be rain proof. It would hard make a bug proof fit on the side. Making a bug proof closure with a sleeve around the whole backend is tricky enough. I can't think of a convenient way of making a bug proof closure along the bottom of the side.

I often rig a tarp over the side, giving me a rain proof entrance.

There are plenty of examples of tents enclosing the tailgate. And as others have noted, there are ways, simple and complex, of opening the tailgate from inside. The simplest is to lay a sock over the latching mechanism.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts