Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't be more dissapointed with the handling characteristics of my new Element. I have owned three CRVs, and everyone has been wonderful. I bought the Element on the Honda reputation. Now I warn anyone who's contemplating to purchase to make another choice. It handles admirably on smooth pavement. On a rough highway, it reads every seam, bump or irregularity on the road. I experience tire noise and vibration on coarse surfaces, tire nibble up an down grades, and shimmying when going around slight bends on the hiway.When you get this thing on a stretch of highway that is wavy, it literally bounces along. This isn't just a fluke, either, because I have driven another new Element to make sure that mine was not just in need of repair or adjustment. They all ride this way, at least the 4WDs. My dealer said that it was just the handling characteristics of the car, although they did notice and admit that all of these were present when they drove my car. Seems the regional rep had never driven one before, nor had the service manager. I know that your temptation, since you want one of these things so bad, will be to convince yourself that I am overly critical or my expectations are too high. Believe me, I have driven Hondas and Toyotas for most of my 30-plus driving career, and never have I ever given handling a second thought - they were always superb. Now, when I drive my new Element, I can feel all of life and nature coming right through my steering wheel. It is aggravating and distracting, to say the least.

I can only call the Element's handling extremely unacceptable. No engineer with adequate R&D time would have ever let this thing out the door. I am so disappointed that I am going to seek to trade it - at considerable loss to myself I am sure. I just can't see driving something every day that reminds me of how I have been taken. Honda should never let this thing out the gate knowing the handling characterisitcs it has. I am sure that many people have not spoken of it because they either don't want to admit that they've been taken, or ignorantly think that a $20 thousand auto is supposed to handle this way.

My advice to you - buy a CRV, or look at the new Kia Sorrento. or a Matrix. Stay away from the element until generation 2 comes along.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Actually, most every review that I have read (see review page) has given the element's handling 2 thumbs up. I'm sure that your estimation of the E's handling is backed by a much more extensive experience than the reviewers of, say, edmunds or car & driver and the like, or even of the R&D engineers that you Rip so easily. If you want to be completely isolated from the road, then this car isn't for you. Go get a Cadillac.

Actually, I think your ignorance has spoken quite loudly when you suggest that car buyers should jump into the black pit of doom and purchase a Kia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just don't want you to jump into the black pit of buying a car that doesn't own up to its own handling claims. Maybe you didn't read me right when I said I have owned numerous cars of this class, and have never had the occasion to question their handling - until now. Do you honestly think that I bought this car to be disappointed? I don't want a Cadillac or other boat. I want a Honda that feels like a Honda should, that is, free from vibration, shimmy, nibble, and shake. Don't be afraid of another's opinion - I know my cars, and I am telling you Honda has a problem with this one.. i have seen it before - the initial reviews are always largely positive (New Beetle) until the experience factor builds.....

·
Registered
608 Posts
jgrisanti,

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your Element. I know having driven both my E and my paralegal's CRV that to me, the E is just an all aorund better car. I love the way it is solid in a turn compared to the CRV. I love the way it seems to take turns better at high speed.

All I can assume is that the Element you bought may have some problems, as I agree with the reviews the Element is a real fun ride, and the handling is great.

While I won't talk about you personally, I know many people who have bought a Kia everyone could not wait to trade it in, or sell it.

I will say this, if you are not happy with your Element, drop me a private message, off the board, I would love to buy another, and if you are looking to trade it in, perhaps we can talk. I don't mind getting a used one. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that people on this forum have a penchant for doubting anyone who might have a negative view of the Element. Read carefully - I said that even the dealer and his regional rep, when they finally drove the car, admitted that the handling characterisitcs as I have described were present. I drove another at their offer and the same handling characteristics were present. I have driven CRVs for about 150,000 miles and never felt the road through the steering and suspension. As for the preliminary reviews of this or any other new model - they usualy receive only quick and tertiary reviews at first. I detaected numerous cues in the many articles I read that indicated to me the reviewiers often did not know the car well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
jgrisanti,

Well, we do read. I read your message, depending on where you are, if you are going to get rid of you Element, and there is nothing wrong with it, I am interested in buying it. You said you are going to be taking a loss, that is great. I don't mind getting a used Element.

I don't even worry about about the color. Let me know where you are, and what you might want for it. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you drive your Element, do you feel every road surface affect thru your steering wheel? I do, and I have never driven a new car that did this, and I have driven many. Does your Element go glop glop glop over every road seam? My three CRVs didn't. Don't misunderstand me, I like this car in many ways. I bought it, but I just can't accept its front end sensations.

·
Registered
608 Posts
jgrisanti,

I don't have a problem with the handling. I don't feel every bump or seam or anything like that. My other car is a Mercedes, and I don't feel anything in that either.

If you want to get rid of it, please let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well then, you don't want mine, nor do you want the other new one I drove. Frankly, your opinion is hard to accept. Explain to me, what exactly is a 'moderator' on this forum. How are you a moderator? Whom do you represent, and how does one become a moderator. I would like to hear the opinions of others, besides the other gentleman who just took possession of his Element one day ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[quote:dc30a70ee2="jgrisanti"]Well then, you don't want mine, nor do you want the other new one I drove. Frankly, your opinion is hard to accept. Explain to me, what exactly is a 'moderator' on this forum. How are you a moderator? Whom do you represent, and how does one become a moderator. I would like to hear the opinions of others, besides the other gentleman who just took possession of his Element one day ago.[/quote:dc30a70ee2]

Wow. I've never been called a gentleman before. Must not be talking about me. (yes, even I, the lowly "gentleman" from Nebraska, can catch the sarcasm in your words)

Actually, I've had the car for about a week now w/no problems.

Your opinion is legit, but your whine makes my ears hurt. Get rid of the car if you don't like it. Buy a Kia instead.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you test drive the element before you bought it? Or did you think that because it is built on the platform of the CRV you were getting the same car? I have had my element for 3 week and have not had a problem with the handling. Then agian, I'm coming from a dodge 4x4. we also have a CRV and they do drive different. The CRV handles a lot like a car, which suits my girl friend, and the element drives a little like a truck. The marketing of the element should have tip you off that it was not a lux ride.

I bought the element for one reason. It was the only thing on the market that could replace most of the utility of my truck and be environmentally friendly. This is a utility vehical. It is made to haul you and your gear to the cabin or trail. Agian, I don't mean to be insulting, but if ride and handling is so important to you, why are you in this market?

·
Registered
71 Posts
We drove out of town for the first time yesterday. We were on a bumpy road for a bit and it did handle a bit rougher (barely) than our Accord over the nasty bumps but knowing that the E is a different type of vehicle than the Accord I expected this but, nothing that was felt throught the steering or any front-end sensations.

On our out-of-town excursion, we were truely amazed at how smooth and quite the ride was in my new E and the seats were very comfortable. We were probably on the road a good 2 hours. Still in the break-in period still under 250 miles. I am not disappointed in the least with the Element and this is my 3rd Honda.

But, everyone has different roads they travel on and I would say that if you are unhappy with your ride now, you should look for another vehicle or you will always be unhappy with it. Nothing worse than having a vehicle that does not fit your needs or satisfaction, because we all seem to spend alot of time in our vehicles and deserve what we expect and pay for.

·
Registered
608 Posts
jgrisanti,

To start a moderator is a volunteer who helps keep track of the posts on the board, removing spam as needed, as well as double posts, and the like.

We are not paid, nor do we work for Honda or any dealership. I am a moderator as I answered T-Mac's request for volunteers to help keep an eye on the board. I am not told what to say, or what not to say. I represent myself and myself alone. I am an Attorney by day, and a super nice guy at night. :D

You have by now seen the posts of several other people, all of whom have Elements. Not one person agrees with you. I woud be happy to take that one off your hands. Even the other new one you claim to have driven.

For you to say my opinion is hard to accept, that is your feeling. However are the opinions of others on this board or anyone who disagrees with you also hard to accept?

Now, questions for you. Do you test drive a vehicle before you pay money for it? (as boneheadz mentioned)

You mentioned that you owned 3 CRV's before. You must not keep cars too long. Why did you want to change to the Element if you were so happy with your CRV.

You seem to be more interested in bad mouthing the E than in getting rid or it. I stand by my offer. If you want to get rid of it, drop me a message, we can talk numbers. My wife and I love our Element, long trips, short trips, fun to drive. It would not hurt for us to buy another, and if I can pick it up from someone who does not want theirs, so much the better for me. You already mentioned you were thinking you were going to take a loss. Great, I am interested. You want to sell it, we can talk, if not, take a walk. Money talks, and BS walks kiddo.

If you just want to bad mouth the Element, so be it, but if you really want to get rid of what you say is a vehicle you hate, let me know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you have been to this site for alwhile, you know that I too have had an issue with my Element.
But let me say that I am so happy that I bought this MUV (mini utility vehicle) :D I can't explain it, but everyday I enjoy getting into this car.
I can't wait for this summer!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am glad to have promoted some good healthy discourse on the handling characteristics of the Element. All of your responses are interesting. Some of them are even polite; others, a little too sensitive.

I test drove the Element before I bought it, yes. Something as subtle as handling often doesn't become noticeable all at once. Once I got a chance to drive this thing under various road conditions for an extended period, its characteristics began to show. I'm sorry to those of you who can't bear to witness criticism of HONDA or ELEMENT. I never said I hated the car - I do like it, but I have VERY strong feelings that Honda could and should have built a much better handling car in the Element. I have much to compare it to and much driving experience to back up my opinion. The purpose of my writing to this section of the forum is not only to eleicit your expereinces, but to reflect on potential buyers whta my reaction to the vehicle has been thus far, just as you have done. Thanks to those of you who offer civil comments. Ouch to those of you whose egos can't move over.

·
Registered
608 Posts
jgrisanti,

So am I to then understand that even though you said you wanted to get rid of your Element, you don't want to now?

I don't think anyone has a problem with you stating your opinion, your feelings, or your thoughts on the Element, or Honda.

You said you have had 3 CRVs. That says quite a bit for your love of Honda as a company.

The Element is not the vehicle for everyone. Some people love it, some hate it. There is no question of that.

If you post in a forum such as this, you should know that people will add their 2 cents worth. Some for the positive and others for the negative.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fully expect and appreciate others' opinions. I also adherrer to civility The idea to sell my car to you was your idea.

·
Registered
608 Posts
[quote:119d838fd2="jgrisanti"] I am so disappointed that I am going to seek to trade it - at considerable loss to myself I am sure. I just can't see driving something every day that reminds me of how I have been taken. [/quote:119d838fd2]

I don't disagree that selling your Element to me, was my idea. I am only responding to your post quoted above. If you want to trade it in, as you have said you wanted to do, I am interested in buying it. I am sure I would be able to pay you more than your dealer would offer in trade.

I ask one more time. If you are truthful in your posts, please let me know. I would be happy to take the Element off your hands. No financing, I pay cash, certified check, money order, etc., what ever suits you.

Civility. Yes, it is something that each of us should abide by. :D I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts