Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

This afternoon, my wife and I were a handshake away from buying an Accord when my wife strayed over to the Elements and fell in love. She called me over and within minutes I was in love too!! What a cool car. - We backed off buying the Accord.

Not at all familiar with the "E", I hit the web for reviews a ratings. I was brought down to earth by reading Consumers Reports but, after checking out this board and other sources, I'm back to being pumped up and just about ready to take the plunge. 'Was hoping I could get a some of you owners to answer a couple of questions for me...

I've read several post of people getting 19 MPG or less with city driving. I'm curious if this is typical for everyone or is this rare and due to extreme location & terrain? I'm in hilly, Middle Tennessee and expect to be doing a lot of city driving. Doesn't seem like very good milage. What kind of results are you folks getting and what kind of terrain are you traveling in? (Also include if you drive a 4 or 6 cylinder, and if 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. - I'm looking at the 2WD/4Cyl.)

Also, What is your opinion of the "suicide doors?" Are they easy to get used too? -- We have an 8 year old who will have to ride in back because of the air-bags and they will be getting a lot of use. - At school, he has to be dropped off from the passengers side. Seems like this will be a hassle without a person in the front passenger side seat to open the door for him.

Lastly, in a Car Talk interview they mentioned about the side doors rattling, possibly due to the E not having a center post. Was curious if anyone else was having problems with this or if a quirk with their test car?

Thanks for your time and help!!

Hopefully, I be taking advantage of their 2.9% interest tomorrow! :D

Smokey

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I live in No. Georgia and do a lot of vertical driving as well as a lot of city type short trips. No problems w/ my mileage. 26+ MPG w/ mixed driving, my E is a FWD 5 speed and I don't drive like an idiot, I have a feeling that if you floored it everywhere you went, you might get crappier mileage.
No rattles, no problems at all.
I have a 10 and 13 year old who typically sit in the back and the little one has to get out on the right side. They step on the little front passenger seat flipper-upper thing and the front seat slides forward and folds and they stand up, reach forward, open the door and bail out. Really isn't a big deal.
If you have a front seat passenger and want to eject a rear seat passenger, the front seat guy has to undo their seat belt.
The Element only comes with the 160 HP 4 cylinder motor. Same as the Accord.
Watch out for that 2.9% financing...They're jacking the prices up to compensate for it. You'll pay close to sticker for the Element, I'm sure, hell it's a Honda. I paid 5% over invoice and $1000 for airconditioning and a roof rack. It came to 17,500 plus tax. Good luck. Don't get raped!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Funny, the same thing happened to us! The Element was sitting there by the main entrance to the showroom. My wife and I got up to leave about 3 times because we couldn't agree on price. We finally decided to pass and were out in the parking lot with the salesman when the sales manager came out and agreed to the price[/quote]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Live in the Sierra foothills, lots of curves & up & down. 4WD auto getting 21 to 24+ on my first 1500 mi. Still breaking in. No rattles, just a great drive & ride. buy & enjoy!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was ready to get a new Accord also when i saw the E. "E"verything changed at that point. I had the opportunity to drive on for a weekend and put in my order. ShorlineMist EX. Always remember to un-hitch your seatbelt before letting you kids try to open the back door. That is a choking experience. That god my kids love me. :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
[quote:762bd84a78="dougola"]I Always remember to un-hitch your seatbelt before letting you kids try to open the back door. That is a choking experience. That god my kids love me. :lol:[/quote:762bd84a78]

Too late, I all ready found that out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you leave the passenger seat flipped forward you never have to open the suicide door for rear seat folks to get in an out. I get 24mpg. 2WD Auto

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well, the only bad thing is have is the gas mileage. I wish it were better. However, it must be the way I drive, the short trips I take around town and such. I need to take a long trip for a day and see what I get. As for other stuff, I did mountain driving and as tall as the E is, there is no top roll or top heavy feeling. I got 18" tires to replace the 16 inchers and I can take mountain turns over the speed limit required and have no tire squeal or feeling of tipping over. I get on the freeway and if I do not watch out I am cruising at 80. I'm over 55 (age-wise!) and I remember the tire-smoking acceleration we had on the muscle cars of the 60's and if that is what ya want, then get a Camaro. But, as one lady said after test driving the E and handing the keys for us to test drive, "This is a COOL car!!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was buying a 2003 Accord and saw the E......we bought it and really enjoy it.

I love the suicide doors for loading...but in tight parking spaces they are difficult to maneuver around. The sheer utility of the vehicle sold us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts