Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't Let This Happen To You!

Well dopey me, I torqued the screws a bit too much and cracked the deflector at the two outer screw locations :oops: . I swear I was careful...I really didn't think I turned them that hard. Maybe a rubber washer would be a good idea. Or at least a note in the instructions for us gorillas. Anyway I dabbed some clear epoxy at the ends of the cracks on the inside of the deflector. I thought about poking a small hot nail through it at the ends of the cracks to stop them but the epoxy seemed easier.

So don't you be turning those screws too tight, y'hear?

·
Registered
493 Posts
KenBob.............at least your screw up was a lot cheaper than mine! I drilled a hole in my condenser to install brackets to the bumper bracket to hold the custom bumper guard. No cheap way to fix that muck up!!

Ger

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did the same thing installing my deflector. Only one though....the last fastener I did cracked. Can you spell PISSED.

Now I wish I had ordered it with the Element, then I could have bitched to the dealer...

·
Registered
540 Posts
KenBob:

I just hate it when something goes wrong when you're screwing!

:lol: :wink: :!: :shock: :p

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote:13804c6ccf="TheLusciousHellcat"]KenBob:

I just hate it when something goes wrong when you're screwing!

:lol: :wink: :!: :shock: :p[/quote:13804c6ccf]

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Don'tfeel bad guys, I did the same thing as well, a small crack on the right hand side. I thought that the little white insert would prevent this from happening. It's been on for a week and the crack did not grow yet.

[quote:5562747575="ERider"]I did the same thing installing my deflector. Only one though....the last fastener I did cracked. Can you spell PISSED.

Now I wish I had ordered it with the Element, then I could have bitched to the dealer...[/quote:5562747575]

·
Registered
504 Posts
Wouldn't some Super glue be perfect to fix it? Sounds like a perfect fit for Super glue. You have a small crack with matching sides. Unless there's a void there it should be a permanent fix and stop the cracking.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
i dont think i have seen a hood delector yet with out a crackin in it....and yes i did crack mine.....i wasnt too impressed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just installed mine and have notice the small crack on the left side, i follow the installation instructions very closely. I don't know what I did wrong?Lightly fited all hardwares, didn't over tight the screws.

Would Honda Accessories exchange for a new one, have anyone tries to return it? :cry:

·
Registered
137 Posts
[quote:94d035ae01="Slowhand"]Wouldn't some Super glue be perfect to fix it? Sounds like a perfect fit for Super glue. You have a small crack with matching sides. Unless there's a void there it should be a permanent fix and stop the cracking.[/quote:94d035ae01]

I don't think super glue would do it, in order for the glue to work the surface where the crack have to have glue on it. Beside super glue make a mess on the smooth surface and melt or deform surface too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I am joining the cracked air deflector/bug guard club....it arrived from H and A today and I went right out and installed it.....did everything by the instructions, and was even extra cautious due to this very post, but still as I was putting the last screw into the side bracket on the passenger side...crack, and the screw wasn't even flush with the air deflector when it cracked....I looked down as I heard the crack in total disbelief.....oh well!

I will probably be the only one who notices, I am not even going to mention it to my husband unless he says something :wink:

I do like the look of it, but the real test will be once I hit the road!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe I need to look at mine again. Maybe I did crack it and not realize it. Stuck here at work right now, but will check in the AM. Hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You mean these deflectors aren't made from polycarbonate ???....now that is a waste of money....I mounted on my previous car some wind deflectors made of I can only guess it was tinted plexiglass that once under little pressure these cracked........later I bought this wing ( rear air deflector) and asked the salesperson about the material and he said polycarbonate....and after installing it it went 3 winters with it, it survived the weight of the snow on it and the many times I applied pressure when I washed the car.........here is a pic of the rear deflector just to show you guys....and thanks for the info...I will contact the same place I bought the deflector ...maybe they make one for the E.............
(the deflector is the part above the rear window... :roll: :wink: )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts