Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

Well, my E got into its first fender-bender this afternoon. My wife backed into another car, and broke the tailight. It appears that only the outer layer of plastic is damaged; there is a 6-inch-wide hole that I taped over with clear tape until I get it repaired. Inside, there is a second plastic housing for the brake light itself, and there is also another separate housing for the turn signal above that. None of these are damaged at all, and the lights all work fine.

Before I go to the dealer to find out what the "gouging" will be, can anyone tell me exactly what I will need to have replaced? More specifically, do they sell the outside plastic housing on its own? Or do I have to buy a whole new tailight assembly, lights and all? I would think they could sell you just the outside plastic, but sometimes they don't break it out like that. When the mirror on my Pontiac cracked, I had to buy a whole new mirror assembly, with a new remote wire and everything. I know most people will not have first-hand experience with this (fortunately for you guys :) ), but it couldn't hurt to ask here.

Also, there are some very minor scrapes on the bumper. You could *almost* wash them out with soapy water. I heard that Mineral Spirits are good for removing these. Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot, everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it just happened to me. On a very DARK night, packing a table saw that reached nearly to the ceiling, I backed in to a BLACK landscaping trailer behind a TREE. My gender is not at issue here.
Gouged the Rubbermaid a little, but that's OK. Broke 2 of 3 layers of the tail light plastic.
I found nothing in a regular GOogle search. I weeded through the posts to this list and found the one with the bumper problem "PLEASE HELP ME".
Majestic Honda in Rhode Island has a great site with exploded diagrams for help in assembly. Looks like the part in question costs ~160 but goes on with 2 bolts and a Phillips screwdriver. Don't forget to turn & release the bulb sockets from the broken piece before removing it.

. I haven't tried yet but will tomorrow: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

NOW, I need those cage things for around the lights so this doesn't happen again...Doubt anybody makes them as there is no place to put them on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lot's of people make those "cage thingys" for the front and back lights

·
Registered
87 Posts
oh my god.
one tail light alone from that web site is $118 :shock: :shock:
kind of pricy :evil:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote:b60e797a9e="WEST"]oh my god.
one tail light alone from that web site is $118 :shock: :shock:
kind of pricy :evil:[/quote:b60e797a9e]

Really? I think that's kind of cheap. I paid $127 for a drivers side mirror from them. The dealer wanted $230 just for the part. I had a Ford that needed a rear light once and paid $85 at a wrecking yard and was happy to be reamed. The dealer wanted 4 times that.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Light assemblies at all the corners are amazingly expensive - and not just for Honda (or Ford). That's why minor "rear-enders" are heck on your insurance rates.

Makes you think about the high taillights on the CRV - keep's 'em out of harms way!

:wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a little bender in a gas station and broke my driver's side tail light... Scratched the plastic a bit too. My Honda dealer charged me $150 for the repalcement.... Well There goes my hitch for the next couple of months :cry:
Took me all of 5 minutes to do the replacement...

---
MW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts