Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my newest and most valued friends out there,
i recently purchased an 03 element (66K) off craigslist, and pretty much got ... well u know what.
amongst a laundry list of problems the major one im dealing with is a crack in the transmission case. well not actually one crack... 4 to be exact. i did take the car to get a pre-purchase inspection, but clearly that was a waste of my money.
now after my tears have dried (and frost bitten toes from having to drive my 83 ford ranger w no heat this winter)... im needing some advice.
ok so im gonna throw it out there.... just in case....
does anyone out there have a transmission case BZKA that they would like to sell to me for about $100 - 150
im looking for a 03-05 tranny case for a FWD AT

i think that welding is out... theres too much to be done.
and buying a whole new transmission is way more then i can handle, bc i spent every penny i had on the car and another 2k isnt possible.

even the used ones seem super pricey, and i feel like it would make more sense to buy a case and rebuild it... for the longevity of the car.
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

valeska "the craigslist sucker"

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would look into the contract on the pre-purchase inspection as they obviously did not do a proper inspection.

When the trans bearing went out on my previous car, a PT Cruiser (at 25k miles on a pampered car) Chrysler refused to honor not only the factory warranty but the extended and transferable warranty. They wanted about $3 grand to fix it. I took it to my mechanic and since the entire trans was toast, he simply swapped it out with a rebuilt one. I assume you could find a used one and have a mechanic do the same. Im just not certain a cracked case would be worth the attempt at a fix but trust a good mechanics judgment.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Don't go there. Modern FWD A/T's aren't backyard mechanic territory.

Not to mention you are very unlikely to find a case "a la carte" without buying a new one, which, at $1300.00 list (which is just the main case, not the covers nor torque converter case) I guaran-damn-tee that's gonna be more than a used tranny from a breaker.

You gotta take your medicine on this one, I'm afraid. :-(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts