Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally my E only cranks for about a second to start. Recently I've noticed that it takes longer to crank and start. Maybe 2 seconds to start. It sounds like if it takes any longer it might not start. Should I be worried? I am thinking it's the starter at the moment.

I checked the spark plugs they look fine.
Alternator was replaced maybe 3 months ago with a remanufacturered one. Didn't have any problem driving across the country relocating.
Battery was good last checked 4 months ago. Idling at around 12.5V after sitting, checked yesterday.

When driving, I am not getting any jerking motion and my gas mileage is still good. This makes me think it is not an issue with air or fuel intake.

I did noticed that it has recently idled a little higher at around 1k-1.5k rev though this may not be related.

2004 Ex model Automatic, 157,000 miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2005 EX AWD 5 speed 201k miles was taking longer to crank and I was concerned it was the starter. My battery seemed fine, good voltage, holds a charge, starts the car, etc., but the battery was 3.5 years old. The car still has the original starter and alternator at 15 years old and 201k miles. So I changed out the battery for $110, and now the car starts quickly again, just like it used to. I use the original size and type of battery, i.e. not larger and not AGM.

So if your battery is 3 years old or older, and your car is cranking slower, I would replace the battery. You could upgrade size and battery type, but I have been keeping with the original type for simplicity and cost.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2005 EX AWD 5 speed 201k miles was taking longer to crank and I was concerned it was the starter. My battery seemed fine, good voltage, holds a charge, starts the car, etc., but the battery was 3.5 years old. The car still has the original starter and alternator at 15 years old and 201k miles. So I changed out the battery for $110, and now the car starts quickly again, just like it used to. I use the original size and type of battery, i.e. not larger and not AGM.

So if your battery is 3 years old or older, and your car is cranking slower, I would replace the battery. You could upgrade size and battery type, but I have been keeping with the original type for simplicity and cost.
Thanks for the response. I suspect the battery could be it. I am planning to buy one of those small jump start batteries to jump start it every time to see if the slow crank still shows. If the problem does not show itself with the jump start battery then it probably is the battery. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a jump starter any ways. I will measure the battery voltage when starting without the jumper when I get a chance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How old is the battery?

I wouldn't want to try to take a voltage measurement at the starter, I would just test at the battery, although the result could be misleading.

From the Factory Service manual, the minimum voltage at the starter, and the maximum current draw::

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is the battery?

I wouldn't want to try to take a voltage measurement at the starter, I would just test at the battery, although the result could be misleading.

From the Factory Service manual, the minimum voltage at the starter, and the maximum current draw:: View attachment 205359
The battery is about 2.5 years old. I am planning to just take the battery voltage not at the starter. Just curious how much the battery voltage drops when starting. Thanks for the starting voltage specs!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is the battery?

From the Factory Service manual, the minimum voltage at the starter, and the maximum current draw:: View attachment 205359
Just checked it again this morning after sitting over night. Now the idle voltage is 12.3V This has decreased compared to when I checked a previous time.

Voltage drops to about 10.3V while starting.

With the car on and AC/headlights on, I am getting 14.1V. Looks like alternator is good.

The battery might be bad as you suggested. Surprised the battery can't even make it up to 3 years. I actually had autozone checked the battery about 3.5 months ago and it checked out good then.

·
Registered
109 Posts
10.5v is the dropoff for latching voltage on many 12v relays. Have you considered upsizing your battery? There are several how-to threads here. The OEM battery is okay...if you want to charge your PHONE! LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was surprised that my battery was only 3.5 years old when my car started cranking slower. But I was very glad that just replacing the battery made it crank normally again.
When my 2005 Element was 3 years old, I took my wife and mother-in-law to see a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. We had a launch pass and watched the launch from a causeway with thousands of other spectators. After the launch I went to start the car and got nothing. No turning over at all. It couldn't even run the radio. When we arrived an hour or 2 earlier that day the car was perfect. So my original OEM battery lasted only 3 years and totally died with no warning. You couldn't even jump the car as broken as the battery was (I don't know if it failed open or short). And I was stranded at the air force station with no way to call a friend to come get me, because they wouldn't have had a badge to get on base. Luckily, a good Samaritan Air Force officer gave the 3 of us a ride back to my house where I got another car to take a battery out to the stranded Element, installed the battery, and left the Element there and went back home. The next day I bummed a ride to work, then walked 2-3 miles to the Element and then drove the car to work and back home at the end of the day. So the moral is a bad battery can leave you stranded at the worst possible time in the worst possible place. If you have a weak battery and money isn't an issue, replace it. Twice I have had a battery totally fail with no warning at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was surprised that my battery was only 3.5 years old when my car started cranking slower. But I was very glad that just replacing the battery made it crank normally again.
When my 2005 Element was 3 years old, I took my wife and mother-in-law to see a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. We had a launch pass and watched the launch from a causeway with thousands of other spectators. After the launch I went to start the car and got nothing. No turning over at all. It couldn't even run the radio. When we arrived an hour or 2 earlier that day the car was perfect. So my original OEM battery lasted only 3 years and totally died with no warning. You couldn't even jump the car as broken as the battery was (I don't know if it failed open or short). And I was stranded at the air force station with no way to call a friend to come get me, because they wouldn't have had a badge to get on base. Luckily, a good Samaritan Air Force officer gave the 3 of us a ride back to my house where I got another car to take a battery out to the stranded Element, installed the battery, and left the Element there and went back home. The next day I bummed a ride to work, then walked 2-3 miles to the Element and then drove the car to work and back home at the end of the day. So the moral is a bad battery can leave you stranded at the worst possible time in the worst possible place. If you have a weak battery and money isn't an issue, replace it. Twice I have had a battery totally fail with no warning at all.
Yea I am definitely getting it replaced probably sometime this week. Might do it after work tmr. I will probably get an Interstate battery this time hoping it will last longer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you buy a new battery, read this thread

Small battery driving you nuts? A BIGGER BATTERY FITS!
Thanks for the link! I was thinking about upgrading to the larger ones as you mentioned in the previous post. Now I have some models to go off of. Very helpful! I am debating on whether to stay with stock size but with a little higher CCA at 500A an Interstate battery or go with the EverStart Maxx 34N 640CCA. I wasn't particularly looking for a mini project out of the blue. Will probably have to do all this in the walmart parking lot right after work if I go with the Everstart.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No problem. Here's a link to my battery install, the bend in of the new mounting bolts and a link to the parts I used. No fears of using lights, fan, radio, etc and runs smoother as I could tell it didn't seem to have the proper energy to fire properly at times. New larger battery fixed all of that.

Almost 200k, 07, worth it or dump it?

Good luck

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
If you upgrade the battery size, you'll also be amazed by the increase in cranking speed (and faster starting). One thing you should do before any of this though is grab a flashlight and look below the battery tray at the big ground wire and see if it's corroded off on the end. The bigger battery is always a good idea but if the ground wire is corroded like they're prone to doing, you'll be doing all of the upgrade for nothing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No problem. Here's a link to my battery install, the bend in of the new mounting bolts and a link to the parts I used. No fears of using lights, fan, radio, etc and runs smoother as I could tell it didn't seem to have the proper energy to fire properly at times. New larger battery fixed all of that.

Almost 200k, 07, worth it or dump it?

Good luck
Well I made an attempt today. For whatever reason the EverStart Maxx 34N I picked up today has the positive and negative terminal reversed. If I flip the battery, my cables won't reach. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow. I also noticed the 34N is too wide and doesn't fit in. It rides on the metal rails.

Autozone didn't have the adjustable hold down bar either. Had to hunt it down going store to store and finally found it in a second O'Reily.

EDIT: Went at it a second time with a 35N this time. The wires reached this time since the terminals are on the correct side and polarity but the battery is still too wide and sides on the metal rails where the tabs are bent out. Is everyone just letting it sit on the rail?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the response. I suspect the battery could be it. I am planning to buy one of those small jump start batteries to jump start it every time to see if the slow crank still shows. If the problem does not show itself with the jump start battery then it probably is the battery. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a jump starter any ways. I will measure the battery voltage when starting without the jumper when I get a chance.
I Have a Halo Bolt jump starter that I love. It works first crank and started my dead battery in literally one second. Was good for several starts without noticeable loss of power. Each has its own power on button. Small and lightweight.Very easy to use, has two USB ports, and full proof jumper cables. Runs $80+ and so worth it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I Have a Halo Bolt jump starter that I love. It works first crank and started my dead battery in literally one second. Was good for several starts without noticeable loss of power. Each has its own power on button. Small and lightweight.Very easy to use, has two USB ports, and full proof jumper cables. Runs $80+ and so worth it.
link to where you got it ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep in mind the ELD does GOOFY things with the voltage when the car is running. A traditional "check voltage while running to assess health of charging system" does not work. I almost replaced the alternator a few years ago until I learned about the (USELESS ELD, which only justifies the puny battery). Heads up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts