Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a gray 2004 ex.....interior. blue and gray.

Now........as time passes. i hate the gray... and the blue isn't so hot either.

Has anyone dyed or painted the entire interior of their car?

The thought thrills me. I found a neat product by parasol inc. Its a dye for rubber vinyl plastics etc. http://www.parasolinc.com

Check it out. It looks very neat. Now they offer the same products in aerosol cans. 20 bucks a pop. but wouldn't really need much could be a
70- 100 dollar DIY.

Now I'm thinking longevity with this project. Because I've heard rave reviews about krylon, and I'm sure its great. BUT.....its still a paint. So I'm afraid of scratching the doors and door handles with it.

I'm sure it'd be great for the trim pieces, Krylon i mean..... But for the main structural larger areas, I'm thinking Dye!

Any one crazy enough to attempt this? anyone already have?
Any thoughts?:)

-e-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH . almost forgot

The most challenging aspect of this project i think would be the steering wheel.
I doubt krylon could hold up to coloring that long term.

But those dyes......they seem pretty darn reliable.
I suppose ill find out.
as soon as i can!
cant freakin wait!
YEEEEERR BABY YERRRRR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
nbpguy did this:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32793

Not as extensive as your plans but, you said you were crazy. Maybe get a clear soda bottle or some vinyl, spray it, and abuse the hell out of it for a while to emulate durability testing. I suggest a soda bottle because if it will stick to that it'll stick to anything.

·
Registered
195 Posts
have a gray 2004 ex.....interior. blue and gray.

Now........as time passes. i hate the gray... and the blue isn't so hot either.

Has anyone dyed or painted the entire interior of their car?

The thought thrills me. I found a neat product by parasol inc. Its a dye for rubber vinyl plastics etc. http://www.parasolinc.com

Check it out. It looks very neat. Now they offer the same products in aerosol cans. 20 bucks a pop. but wouldn't really need much could be a
70- 100 dollar DIY.

Now I'm thinking longevity with this project. Because I've heard rave reviews about krylon, and I'm sure its great. BUT.....its still a paint. So I'm afraid of scratching the doors and door handles with it.

I'm sure it'd be great for the trim pieces, Krylon i mean..... But for the main structural larger areas, I'm thinking Dye!

Any one crazy enough to attempt this? anyone already have?
Any thoughts?:)

-e-
What will u do about the seat covers? will you keep the old ones?

I am asking because I just installed leather on my 08' E and I have the original seat covers.

If you make the move on painting the interior I'll like to see the results.:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
What will u do about the seat covers? will you keep the old ones?

I am asking because I just installed leather on my 08' E and I have the original seat covers.

If you make the move on painting the interior I'll like to see the results.:)
You installed leather? How much did it cost and will it work with side airbags?

·
Registered
195 Posts
You installed leather? How much did it cost and will it work with side airbags?
First, I didn't do the leather myself, I used the same people my local Honda use. Then I went directly to them and offer to pay cash. I paid $900 and it looks really nice.
As far as the side air bags, it worked well.
I was thinking about getting an Acura RDX but at the end of the day I did settle on getting the leather on the E. Black leather that is and it looks great.

I'll post some pics ASA I get a chance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes... im mad... not upset but a little off in dreamy land.

Well.... according to parasol inc........ the dyes penetrate even to hide possible scratches. i guess they have some sort of etching or softening product that allows the dye to be absorbed well enough in2 the plastics and rubbers.

as 4 the seats! GREAT QUESTION. i uh...... would ideally like to have black & charcoal seat covers made. Not the strapons. but possibly sewn over or replacing the original seat covers. It'll be more costly. But very worth it i think.

and as for what the other guy did with the trim pieces , it looks GREAT. and like him, i don't do much hauling in my element. Its clean as a whistle and ONLY holds a few necessities and the people who ride in it.

I may be crazy, and i know I'm stubborn. but i have a good track record of making wyld ideas happen. I'll definitely do testing though. on other plastics.
maybe even grab scrap dashes and door plastics from salvage yards.

but... isn't the possibility EXCITING! :D;-) GRAWR!

·
Registered
299 Posts
interior

i actually sanded down each panel inside prepped it and primed it and used the same paint that goes on the outside of the car inside... used 3 coats of clearcoar and ta-da... this is what u get :)

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fujisan it looks awesome! Nice job

·
Registered
556 Posts
i actually sanded down each panel inside prepped it and primed it and used the same paint that goes on the outside of the car inside... used 3 coats of clearcoar and ta-da... this is what u get :)
That looks awesome!
Where did you get the paint that matches your car?

Thanks Garrett

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fujisan, that is incredible.

Madnessink, I think you could do it, not that I know anything about how to do the project, but after you do trial runs on scraps from a junkyard I think you should have it all figured out. I want to see your results, even on the scraps. Try painting/dying a piece then try putting a big scratch in it, then post a pic for all of us to see.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fujisan, I saw your E and the UT alma mater popped in my head. Great job, and WONDERFUL color.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thankyou for the posts

thnx for the pics fujisan!! Beeeeautiful.

and thank you very much for the vote of confidence Margaret!!
I definitely will document the process with photos and try scratches in other plastics b4 continuing to my car.

I just like knowing we have options. I like figuring out how to get them done.
And i don't take No for an answer.

i WILL somehow get this done and done properly.
i should mention I'm a "fine artist" and know how to use a brush & spray can.
So this "mod" isn't daunting to me at all. I just need to verify the dye products do as they claim. then its easy street. :)

SEM products also seem reliable. Just not as durable as a "dye treatment".
I dont think they have plastic dyes. will inquire.

enough babble.
thank you
-e-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts