Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have over 110k on my 04 EX and it's making some squeaking/creaking in the front. The struts up there have cracks in the rubber part on top.

Does that sound like the issue? Is it time for new ones? Drives okay, mostly highway now, was doing some backroad stuff for a while there while looking at land in AZ.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm also getting the creaking noise in my 03 with 59K on it. It is apparently caused by the upper strut mount bearings going bad according to my mechanic.

:sad:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have over 110k on my 04 EX and it's making some squeaking/creaking in the front. The struts up there have cracks in the rubber part on top.

Does that sound like the issue? Is it time for new ones? Drives okay, mostly highway now, was doing some backroad stuff for a while there while looking at land in AZ.
110k is good for any front strut so its probably time anyway, it could be other things like the motor mounts, ball joints or stabilizer links/bushings also. I would take a pry bar while on the ground shift the front end around, you might be able to localize the noise.

Chris

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone know a good average cost of having a shop replace the struts and bushings ?

My 2003 Element just turned over 77K and I am getting the front creaking noise too. Just wanted to know about how much I am in for.

Also would a place like Midas or Meineke be a good place to take it or will the dealer be cheaper ?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Mine is doing it too....but since I'm at about 225,000 km, I may as well replace the struts at the same time, and kill 2 birds with one stone....

It's easier for them to replace the bearings while they have the strut assemblies out, and you save the extra cost of having to have it done again, when you have the struts replaced....

I haven't looked at pricing up here, but I think I saw saw someone here say they were about $300 each, all in....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry. I'm a DA. What bearings?
Thank you. Again, what bearings? Do you mean bushings? If so, off the top of my head $400 sounds high... but it could be in line. I'd check around.

On a tangent, I've driven Hondas to 200K miles without changing or needing to change the factory struts/shocks. On modern Hondas this is normal, i.e. not needing to replace them. Now, it could be in a particular instance it's warranted, but I'd like to see the evidence that it's warranted before I plopped down the cash for the parts (& labor?). JMHO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I replaced all of mine at 77k with KYB's, and did the mounts. I still have horrible problems. I need the time to take it in to the dealer, since my local shops have had little luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts