Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasn't so bad before, but then noise has gradually gotten worse. It sounds like an old wooden door creaking and happens whenever I accelerate from a dead stop, or come to a dead stop, or hit a bump (sometimes), or steer.

What is going on? Is this a motor mount? bad bushing somewhere? Suspension related?

Search didn't get me anywhere.. please help. I'm hating this car... (a year ago had radiator go, this year ac compressor).

58k miles, is this really a honda?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
upper strut mount bearings

I just replaced both of mine (and the strut assemblies)

When they replaced them the first time the new bearings were binding and not allowing the struts to move as they need. Sounded exactly as you described. Turns out it's a know issue with some of the replacements, and they have no way of knowing until they are installed...go figure

They may only need some penetrating fluid to loosen them up

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: noise does not occur when car is in Park or Neutral, only when it is in Drive. It also makes a similar, but lower tone noise when in Reverse.

But like I said.. only when the car comes/goes from/to a dead stop.

Tim, do you remember how much that cost you and how many miles did you have at the time of replacement and how many do you have now?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
To be honest, I don't really know exactly how much it was, becasue we had the front brakes done at the same time. I think it was $385 per side, and we just had it done about a month ago.

They've been creaking almost all summer, and we know have 220,000 km.

You only hear the noises when the vehicle is in motion, and only at low speeds...times when the struts would be moving from side to side in the mounts. When the vehicle is stopped, they only move up and down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same noise in rear

I have 2006 with 50000 miles and this noise in rear is driving me nuts. I figure it's either the rear shocks or something to do with swaybar??? Anyone have any ideas on how to be sure. It sounds like a rubber band back there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
noise from front left, maybe my strut mount,...

i looked under the hood and checked the mounting of my strut area, the rubber around the strut totally torn apart. noise when driving sounds like something is loose! i took a picture of it i wish i can post it here i dont know how?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't had time to look into this issue any more, but the sound is still there and it's bugging the hell out of me, making me feel like I'm driving an old rust bucket.

Lorenzo, you can e-mail me the picture and I'll post it up for you:
[email protected]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Sounds still there, not sure what it is, haven't had time to look into it. Maybe I'll take it to my mechanic this weekend and see if he thinks it suspension related or possible a bad mount somewhere...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Broken transmission mount. Having it replaced today. Part is about $75 and labor about $90, going to cost me about $175 with tax.

This should fix the sound, I will post an update if it works. It may sound steep but it's actually a lot less than I thought it would be.

At this point I just want that damn annoying sound to go away.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

For a car with less than 61k miles, this is disgusting.

The noise is gone and this has been replaced with OEM part 50810-S7D-003 Rubber Assy RR

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you know which one of the transmission mounts was replaced? Also, did you go have it done at a dealer or private mechanic?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was the one closest to the firewall.

OEM part 50810-S7D-003 Rubber Assy RR

The noise has gone away and the car sounds better, I have another creaking/drilling noise which sounds more suspension related which I'm currently trying to isolate.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update and correction:

A - The noise that I originally heard which led to the discovery of this broken mount is still gone, which means that it was this mount for a fact.

B - This mount is the rear engine mount, not a transmission mount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have an 03ex 4wd with 47k and I am having the same creaking noise from my front right suspension area.

I only here it right now when I take back roads to work and the suspension shifts from side to side. I think I am going to go home today. Take the wheel off and check out what is going on.

I will definitely look at that engine mount, but I am also thinking it could be coming from the strut mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sway bar bushes

I have 2006 with 50000 miles and this noise in rear is driving me nuts. I figure it's either the rear shocks or something to do with swaybar??? Anyone have any ideas on how to be sure. It sounds like a rubber band back there.
I'd almost guarantee that its the sway bar bushings. I had a clunking thumping noise in the rear of my 04 element and chased all the logical areas before finally just replacing the sway bushes and presto noise gone. I've gotta say the element makes me think twice about buying another honda. I've owned five in my life, and this one is so fraught with little niggling junky problems that i might have well bought a north american car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts