Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i've been having an issue with my cruise control since I got my element. Whenever I press the button it dosent light up. Now that would be fine, but the cruise control dosent work either. I used to have a 2004 civic and my element is a 2004, so I know how to operate the cruise control on this era honda, and mine just wont work. I tried swapping out the actual cruise control button but that didnt do anything. Any Ideas as to what it may be? 2004 EX 5 speed manual

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element EX 2WD / 1993 Chevrolet S10 Blazer
17 Posts
Which button are you pressing exactly? The actual CRUISE ON button is right above the change drawer under the dashboard on the left.

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element EX 2WD / 1993 Chevrolet S10 Blazer
17 Posts
If you've checked that already I would look at the fuse/relay panel. I believe the cruise control has a fuse under the hood (fuse #7 after some research) as well as a separate fuse under the dash (#4) for the switch itself. I will snap some pics of mine tomorrow :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you've checked that already I would look at the fuse/relay panel. I believe the cruise control has a fuse under the hood (fuse #7 after some research) as well as a separate fuse under the dash (#4) for the switch itself. I will snap some pics of mine tomorrow :)
oops totally forgot to check for replies haha
but i'm pressing the actual cruise button on the "dash" right next to the door. And it isnt lighting up - wouldnt be too much of a problem but even with it clicked on, using the cruise control buttons on the wheel dont actually engage anything

I'll check the fuses tomorrow. Last I looked i couldnt find a specific cruise control fuse labled on either so I gave up

·
Registered
137 Posts
If the light doesn't light up then cruise won't engage when you press steering buttons. It is common that the switch goes bad. Replace the switch with one that lights up and that should fix the problem. Pop the switch from the back with a long screwdriver from side after removing cover. Very simply DIY

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the light doesn't light up then cruise won't engage when you press steering buttons. It is common that the switch goes bad. Replace the switch with one that lights up and that should fix the problem. Pop the switch from the back with a long screwdriver from side after removing cover. Very simply DIY
Its weird, it does light up some times, sometimes it dosent. When it does light up it still dosent work though. Also tried replacing it with a junk yard switch to no avail.
Before i throw any more money at it i wanna check the wiring, since when its pressed in it will flash randomly at times, sometimes be solid or be nothing at all. Car had an aftermarket security system/remote start on it when i got it that I had a mechanic remove so something might be messed up

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its weird, it does light up some times, sometimes it dosent. When it does light up it still dosent work though. Also tried replacing it with a junk yard switch to no avail.
Before i throw any more money at it i wanna check the wiring, since when its pressed in it will flash randomly at times, sometimes be solid or be nothing at all. Car had an aftermarket security system/remote start on it when i got it that I had a mechanic remove so something might be messed up
'Sometimes' means the switch is on it's last thread. I've replaced with switches that don't light up. One that lights up should have cc working again. If not, then a clock spring also on it's way out. I chased a cruise control problem for months, thinking it could be the module or cable. Only to find it was in fact the clock spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts