Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2006 EX with AWD, automatic, and 117K miles. Recently I started to hear random pops, creaks and other crunchy noises from the front end. These occurred at random times when backing, turning and braking. I read several posts and decided to replace the sway bar links.

I replaced the originals with Moog brand in order to get the grease fittings. I used K-90454 Driver Side, and K-90455 Passenger Side. After the install about 80-90% of the noise disappeared, but NOT all of it.

My question is where should I look next? Or, is it possible the Moog parts are not very good and are noisy? I gave them both a quick shot of grease before I installed them. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would check your front Lower Control Arms bushings, front strut upper mounts and bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

I have a 2006 EX with AWD, automatic, and 117K miles. Recently I started to hear random pops, creaks and other crunchy noises from the front end. These occurred at random times when backing, turning and braking. I read several posts and decided to replace the sway bar links.

I replaced the originals with Moog brand in order to get the grease fittings. I used K-90454 Driver Side, and K-90455 Passenger Side. After the install about 80-90% of the noise disappeared, but NOT all of it.

My question is where should I look next? Or, is it possible the Moog parts are not very good and are noisy? I gave them both a quick shot of grease before I installed them. Thanks.
Sounds exactly like the prob I had with my 98 CRV, same symptoms as you. Changed sway bar links and bushings. It got rid of most of the noise, but not all, same as you. I still got a tapping noise especially while braking and sometimes when turning. It took forever to figure this out.

This was the cause for me: When I changed the bushings, I took both the old ones off at once and replaced them together. (I should have done them one by one). Anyway, the sway bar had moved over a bit while installing the new ones, so one side sat just barely over the lower control arm on one side. It was the sway bar hitting the control arm! I loosened the sway bar nuts and bushing brackets........re-centered the bar. Any noise I had was completely gone afterward !!

Take a look at yours, maybe same Issue. If you do any of this, when you re-tighten make sure the front end is under load....not with wheels hanging. Did mine with ramps.

Well....hope this helps!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds exactly like the prob I had with my 98 CRV, same symptoms as you. Changed sway bar links and bushings. It got rid of most of the noise, but not all, same as you. I still got a tapping noise especially while braking and sometimes when turning. It took forever to figure this out.

This was the cause for me: When I changed the bushings, I took both the old ones off at once and replaced them together. (I should have done them one by one). Anyway, the sway bar had moved over a bit while installing the new ones, so one side sat just barely over the lower control arm on one side. It was the sway bar hitting the control arm! I loosened the sway bar nuts and bushing brackets........re-centered the bar. Any noise I had was completely gone afterward !!

Take a look at yours, maybe same Issue. If you do any of this, when you re-tighten make sure the front end is under load....not with wheels hanging. Did mine with ramps.

Well....hope this helps!!
I did them one at a time, but I did them with the wheel off and the car jacked up. Only one wheel off at a time since I just have one jack. Think I should go back, loosen the nuts and re-tighten them while it is on the ground?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did them one at a time, but I did them with the wheel off and the car jacked up. Only one wheel off at a time since I just have one jack. Think I should go back, loosen the nuts and re-tighten them while it is on the ground?
That`s what I would do. You can also just take a closer look of the distances on each side of the sway bar to the lower control arm. That`s how I found my prob initially. one side was almost touching, so I recentered the sway bar

·
Registered
3 Posts
That`s what I would do. You can also just take a closer look of the distances on each side of the sway bar to the lower control arm. That`s how I found my prob initially. one side was almost touching, so I recentered the sway bar
Also, when I replaced the bushings I noticed my sway bar at those spots was really caked up with rust. I cleaned it up good with a wire brush, greased it up, the new bushing fit so much better

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hope to tackle this soon. The next week is packed with work and family commitments, I will let you know if I have am successful in clearing it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Well I finally had time to get under my E. I replaced the sway bar bushing and that seems to have solved the rest of my noise problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts