Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am wanting to do the 6mt mod to my 04 4WD EX but only want it to be down for as little time as possible. I have been looking for a used MT 4wd transmission out of an element but as you can imagine there aren't many so the prices are inflated. I want to do it this way so that I can do the transmission internal work and have the transmission ready to swap in all at once. Also, my E has 120k mi. so If I find a tranny with less miles thats also a bonus.

2nd gen CRV MT 4WD transmissions unlike the E's are more readily available and cheaper (and I would think) be interchangeable. I know the internals are the same because the 6MT mod can be done on 2nd gen CRVs but I don't know if there are any external differences. Anyone have and knowledge or thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
They are interchangeable as far as mounting up to the motor & the engine bay, but the gearing is different which may or may not be to your liking. I had a K series gearing chart if I can find it i'll post it up.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
They are interchangeable as far as mounting up to the motor & the engine bay, but the gearing is different which may or may not be to your liking. I had a K series gearing chart if I can find it i'll post it up.
yeah, i think it's 1st and 2nd that are geared slightly lower in the E do to its heavier weight. best to check the ratio table to be sure. and probably reverse is also lower in E. by lower i mean numerically larger.

·
Registered
190 Posts
CRV vs. Element MT Gearing

I have to admit I haven't done any offroading with my 2007 MT 2WD LX (yet), but it seems to me that first and second gear are ridiculously low compared to other MT vehicles I've owned, I doubt swapping to CRV gear ratios would do much harm.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had just found the information on the ratios also, so these just confirm and put the two side by side.

Element Specifications

Transmission gear ratio (1st)______3.53
Transmission gear ratio (2nd)______2.04
Transmission gear ratio (3rd)______1.36
Transmission gear ratio (4th)______1.03
Transmission gear ratio (5th)______.83
Transmission gear ratio (reverse)___3.58
Final Drive:_____________________4.765

CR-V Specifications
_____________________________________(difference from element)
Transmission gear ratio (1st)______3.53
Transmission gear ratio (2nd)______1.880___(diff 0.16)
Transmission gear ratio (3rd)______1.212___(diff 0.148 )
Transmission gear ratio (4th)______0.921___(diff 0.109)
Transmission gear ratio (5th)______0.738___(diff 0.092)
Transmission gear ratio (reverse)___3.58
Final Drive:_____________________4.765

(Transmission gear ratio (6th) .66)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So there are 257lbs difference (element heavier) plus the obvious aerodynamic differences (disadvantage element.)

First, reverse and the final drive are the same, 2nd - 5th are all within 0.1-0.15 of the element ratios. It spreads the ratios out so that its not such a large jump up to 6th.

If I understand it correctly the CRV transmission would effectively lower the RPM's (and available torque) in gears 2-5? This could also potentially increase mileage.

I don't normally tow anything but a bike rack and maybe a small trailer load of yard waste a few miles 1-2 times a year. My element is normally empty for day to day operations (besides me) and there are a couple camping/trips per year with passengers and gear.

Unless I am missing something or underestimating the ratio differences I am not seeing a downside.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fuel economy is not always RPM dependent, but IS always load dependent. If you are having to give more gas to get the same given result, you will lose fuel mileage.

I have said issue with more load in 6th gear on my setup(base RSX gearbox with tsx 6th) due to the properly sized turbo on my car than spools lower in the powerband(and I can't keep my foot outta the gas). I imagine my E would not have that issue in stock form.

This is not a good comparison for you, as all of my components are different than your element, it is just food for thought.

With that said, these are close enough that I do not think it would matter much.

I would do it and log your mileage and let us know!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am considering starting this project with tax refund money.
I will first need to find a lower mileage transmission candidate (possibly CR-V) and take my time to get the internal 6SP conversion work done right. The internal work is the only part I think I will need help with but having an extra transmission to work with will allow me to get it sorted out before the car is torn apart on jack stands. After thats done I don't think I will have an issue with doing the R/R in a couple of days. I will have a spare transmission to keep or sell when all is done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe I should ask this on a CRV forum but does anyone happen to know the difference between the crv 02-03 5mt transmissions and the 04-06 5mt transmissions they are not listed as interchangeable (which could be an error.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got my taxes filed so I am going to pull the trigger on this as soon as I get my refunds back. I am pretty sure I am going to go with a CRV box because I can get a much lower mileage one for less money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.