Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if anyone else had issues with the lack of light near the cup holders at night, but I for one couldnt take it anymore. So, With a 5mm blue LED, small LED holder and a license plate screw cap I made my own. HUGE difference and Honda should have done somthing of this nature to begin with. It works perfectly...it is directed right at the cup holders and isnt too bright or annoying. It took all of 30 min from start to finish. I wired it into the PRND light so it only comes on when the lights are on.

finished product

light off

light on

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great idea...I've been wanting to do something like that... I hate driving to work in the morning with my coffee & can't see the *#!%? cup holders!
I was looking for illuminated tape or something like that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
very cool! Got a write up on exact parts needed/wioring hookup?

Also, my wife's CR-V did this from the sunroof control too. So there may be a honda part that you can incorporate

·
Registered
730 Posts
I get a similar illumination (not quite as bright) from my E already with out having to do anything. The model with Navi has an option where you can press a button on the steering wheel and talk to control the radio and gps. Well, there is a small blue light in the roof (toward the windshield) that turns off when you press the button to speak so it is always on unless you press that button. It shines down on my cup holders just enough so I can see what's doing down there.

Nice mod though! Great location IMO!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I get a similar illumination (not quite as bright) from my E already with out having to do anything. The model with Navi has an option where you can press a button on the steering wheel and talk to control the radio and gps. Well, there is a small blue light in the roof (toward the windshield) that turns off when you press the button to speak so it is always on unless you press that button. It shines down on my cup holders just enough so I can see what's doing down there.

Nice mod though! Great location IMO!
Other new Honda models such as the Accord and Pilot have ambient LED lighting from just behind the rear view mirror shining down. What you describe sounds a lot like that. Has this been added on the new models? Could you provide a pic please? I'd love to retro fit that piece on my 08.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Here's a pic of what I was talking about....

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first car was a 73 VW superbeetle. The heater controls were next to the handbrake. There was a small light on the dash that illuminated the levers, much the same as the original poster.
Wickster, Excellent execution of your idea. Good job.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found the part in the 09 with nav. At that price not sure it would be worth it.

MODULE ASSY., AMBIENT LIGHT & NAVIGATION MICROPHONE *YR233L*
$140.53 Dealer Price

Ive got $10 in parts (which can make 9 more of them), and 30 min in labor. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Oh no doubt your version is definately cheaper and works just as good if not better. I was just pointing out that there was some form of light that can come from the factory. :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no doubt your version is definately cheaper and works just as good if not better. I was just pointing out that there was some form of light that can come from the factory. :)
i was actually wanting the ex awd w/nav but the dealer couldnt fine one within a reasonable distance. So, I settled for just the ex awd

·
Registered
510 Posts
oh nice diy.i should have done this long time ago.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I did do this a long time ago...January 2004!

Mine is simply a red panel light, "shaded" with a lip balm cap to prevent upward glare. I've since added red lighting inside the subwoofer cover for more illumination in the cupholder/console area. Mine is wired to the exterior/instrument lighting circuit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PRND light or Instrument lighting circuit

Both the PRND light and Instrument lighting circuits were mentioned as a power source for an auxiliary light that would remain in while the console lights are on. Can anyone provide instructions/direction on how and where to access these sources? I would like to add cup holder illumination, as well as some small lights under the dash area (like the Acura's provide). Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both the PRND light and Instrument lighting circuits were mentioned as a power source for an auxiliary light that would remain in while the console lights are on. Can anyone provide instructions/direction on how and where to access these sources? I would like to add cup holder illumination, as well as some small lights under the dash area (like the Acura's provide). Any help is appreciated.
i just t-tapped into the wires right at the shifter

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Personally, I think that drinking anything while driving is just as distracting as using a cellphone. When my vehicle is stopped, the map lights are more than adequate.

Previous generations learned to go for a couple hours without having open beverages and snacks, saving them for the less frequent rest stops we need to make on long trips and (gasp) home-cooked sit-down meals.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Personally, I think that drinking anything while driving is just as distracting as using a cellphone. When my vehicle is stopped, the map lights are more than adequate.

Previous generations learned to go for a couple hours without having open beverages and snacks, saving them for the less frequent rest stops we need to make on long trips and (gasp) home-cooked sit-down meals.
personally, with me having over 1.5 million accident free logged miles in an 18 wheeler, I dont think drininking a beverage is distracting. Nor, would it be considered "just as" discracting as using a cell phone for a call or texting. Im just sayin.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Even sneezing is distracting...

I think the lights are more about style than function. Personally, I know where the cup holders are and don't even need the map light to find them.

Now if everyone would just drive and forget about the phone and the fast food things would be much better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts