Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, It has been a while since I posted here but I uncovered a bit of info that I am hoping might save some of you thousands of dollars in transmission repairs.
I had just picked up another E to add to the fleet (#4 for those counting at home) and it suffered from the very hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Not knowing the service history of this one I did the full 4x trans flush to see if it cleaned things up. It was helpful. The outgoing fluid was dirty but not burned and the magnet had very little attached. This was encouraging. Many of you may know that the next step in solving this process is to swap the dual linear solenoid assy. That is where I was headed too. I did not have any flashing lights on the gear selector, no CELs. I removed the unit. FYI make sure that you have a new gasket or two on hand if you are going to try this. Removing one that has been on for a while, no matter how careful you are, it will get ripped. It is pretty easy to get to the solenoids, remove the battery and the battery tray and there they are. Remove the two harnesses and then the 6 10mm bolts that hold it on. As gently as you can separate the unit from the transmission, there are 4 pipes (That is the official Honda description for them) that are inside and the gasket goes over top. You will lose a minimal amount of trans fluid so have a rag or two at the ready.
Now that you have the unit out the first thing to do is apply 12v to each of the solenoids. They should make a quick, equal and pronounced click when power is applied. If they do not replace the entire unit and follow part two of this write up.
PART TWO - If you are at this point you have either verified your solenoids to be good or have replaced the unit. No matter what brought you here you will need 9 things. 1 new gasket, 4 new pipes and 4 new o-rings. The issue for many is that the solenoids get weak. For those with strong solenoids, the issue is that the o-rings have worn out. This can be evidenced by what looks like wear marks on the pipes. This is from fluid blowby and the pipes chattering in the sleeve. Install your new parts being sure to clean both mating surfaces completely. It cannot hurt to use some electrical contact cleaner on the plugs with a dab of dielectric grease on the slides. Once you have it all put back together enjoy your like new smooth shifting transmission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Super helpful for troubleshooting my current issue on my 2007 Element SC.

Where would you recommend buying a new Solenoid online OEM? So hard to find fair priced original parts - my local Los Angeles dealers want a fortune for the part 28260 PRP 014 $500 +

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts