Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get an LED light bar that is lighting up the current gear for the automatics. Is there such a mod available? The search didn't produce anything...

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's a cool Idea! The 2007 (five speed Auto) has 5 shift solenoids A, B, C, D, E. They receive a 12V signal from the PCM behind the glove box. The tricky part is each solenoids does not represent a single gear. For first A, B, and C are powered up. Second B and D. Thrid only C. Forth only A. Fifth A, C, and D. Reverse only E. 12v LEDs could be used and by connecting them between the solenoids a single LED could represent each gear. I might try it....:|

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
that would be cool! I never know what gear I am in, especially going uphill. occasionally I dont know what hill I am going up either, but thats a different thead...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
870 Posts
spdrcr5 said:
This already exists from the factory. It's built into the instrument cluster.
SPDRCR5 - Could you clarify that? Where on the cluster is an indicator of what gear you are in and what year model did the appear in?

I think the thread started was referring to 1-2-3-4 and maybe you are referring to P-D-N-R-1-2??

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Personally, I'd LOVE to have something like that for my 5MT (still needs to be made a 6MT but that's another story too...) I'm generally pretty damn good about it but I do slip. I learned on a 4 spd Subaru way back when and the instinct has stuck that "lever down = highway drive". So occasionally I'll catch myself tooling down the highway still in 4th. Granted, a 6th would solve the problem - just shift down anyway :D But anybody have an idea on how to rig this up for a manual that doesn't take an EE master's?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gambling element said:
That's a cool Idea! The 2007 (five speed Auto) has 5 shift solenoids A, B, C, D, E. They receive a 12V signal from the PCM behind the glove box. The tricky part is each solenoids does not represent a single gear. For first A, B, and C are powered up. Second B and D. Thrid only C. Forth only A. Fifth A, C, and D. Reverse only E. 12v LEDs could be used and by connecting them between the solenoids a single LED could represent each gear. I might try it....:|
This is exactly what I have been looking for... The next challenge is to present it in a worthwhile manner where it is actually of value to see at a glance.... If you can come up with a customer friendly way to tap into these signal points, I would give this a whirl too....

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
and after that, add a display for the previous gear also. <grin>
(just in case you want to go back there)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I made this modification that will show the current gear selected in the 5 speed automatic transmission. The LED's light up in a patten of a 5 speed manual. It works with the following anomaly... In Neutral the First illuminates and in Reverse First and Third illuminates. But I think I can live with that, these are not automatically selected. If anybody is interested in the details I have a word document with instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gambling element said:
I made this modification that will show the current gear selected in the 5 speed automatic transmission. The LED's light up in a patten of a 5 speed manual. It works with the following anomaly... In Neutral the First illuminates and in Reverse First and Third illuminates. But I think I can live with that, these are not automatically selected. If anybody is interested in the details I have a word document with instructions.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I would like to get a copy of the W-doc!!!! ...and what is the LCD display below the gear selector for???? ...

·
Registered
164 Posts
EXwSCnose said:
Yes, Yes, Yes, I would like to get a copy of the W-doc!!!!
Send me a email address via Private Message (upper left of screen when logged in) and I will send it to you.

EXwSCnose said:
...and what is the LCD display below the gear selector for???? ...
That's a display for my homemade "Climate Control Computer". I have attached a picture of the display in the three modes. In each display the temperature inside of the car (CABIN) is 84.2 °F. The top display is in the HEAT Mode it uses the center dial of the Honda temperature control to set the DIAL temperature ( in this case 69.8 °F). This is like a thermostat setting. The computer adjust the air blend door (the pervious occupation of the Honda temperature control) to maintain the CABIN at the DIAL temperature . The "1" under HEAT is the blend door position 1 is full cool and 15 is full heat. In this case the CABIN is hotter than the DIAL so it's set to cool air. The center display is selected by pressing the Honda "AC" button. This is the AC mode. Same principal as the HEAT mode but the Compressor is cycled to maintain the temperature. COOL indicates the compressors running "- -" indicates it's off. The lower display is the MANUAL CONTROL mode were everything operates like stock. To enter or exit the MANUAL CONTROL mode hold the Honda "AC" button in for 2 seconds. If the AC is on when you do this it will return to the AC mode if not it will return to the HEAT mode. I know what you thinking too much free time....

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Man...I want to build one of those comps into my E....looks sweet...like that gear indicator too....i'll pm you
:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I still don't understand why you would need this? I can look at my speedo and then my tach and figure out what gear I'm in in roughly 1.5 seconds...it's really not that hard...unless you've got an 07, I can see that extra gear getting in the way ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey man, I just thought it was kind of cool, and for the record, I can usually tell which gear Sake is in 90% of the time :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
typer98 said:
I still don't understand why you would need this? I can look at my speedo and then my tach and figure out what gear I'm in in roughly 1.5 seconds...it's really not that hard...unless you've got an 07, I can see that extra gear getting in the way ;)
Well, -- see -- you are fortunate...

I have a hard time counting to four and five just flat blows my horizon!!!
I got them gauges bouncing around and every time I look back onto the speedometer and the RPM gauge they seem to be in transition and moving up or down.
Not only would I put on LEDs and arrange them in the classic 5-speed double-H-pattern, but I would also put lenses on it with LARGE numbers to eliminate any and all possibilities for me to read the wrong gear. I am almost going batty getting from here to there not being sure what gear my ride is in...!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts