Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share additions I have made to Kermit. Lets start with the curtain. It costs $5 and requires no permanent modification to the element.

I am in a rush so I'll just share the pics. I think the design is pretty simple:

http://www.rishio.com/galleries/curtain/index.html

The part you need to make the curtain costs $5 at ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079342

Hope you like it - I certainly do! Btw, I'm tinting the rear windows to deal with privacy in the rear.. Feel free to ask questions!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is how I use a magnet to hold my Palm Pre to Kermit (my element). I'm surprised more people don't use magnets.. they are great...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice job Sir.:)
I kinda have a somewhat similar privacy curtain setup as yours,except I chose to use a large piece of black fleece with snap buttons attached to it as my curtain material and as a mounting system I used snap buttons on various key points of the headliner,door catch center plastic covers and the upper rear door plastics. Oh and I'm also a big fan of using magnets in a vehicle too.:cool: I have four of them,two on the overhead console,one on the right side of the shifter cover and one hidden underneath the armrest console. I use mine for holding my remotes and cell phone.

^^Those are the actual ones I use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you get the actual curtain?

This is an awesome thing you did. I love the separation between the front and the back with the curtain. Two questions though....

1. Is there anywhere else I can get that line? Or will another steady line suffice?

2. Where did you get the curtain? I would like the same one.

Sick setup you have, man.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've been using the magic shade for years. Works great & folds up to fit in the door pocket. Don't remember exactly what size I got maybe the jumbo. The bottom corners aren't covered but unless someone has their face to the windshield you can't see anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
And here is how I use a magnet to hold my Palm Pre to Kermit (my element). I'm surprised more people don't use magnets.. they are great...

Magnet + hard drives = almost certain death.

I'm assuming your phone doesn't have a micro hard drive - seems many portable devises can be ruined by even the smallest of magnets. There are plenty of horror stories in the iPod forums about folks purchasing these very same magnetic accessory holders and toasting their older iPods.

Just be careful what you attach!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Great job with the mod, Rishio.

Question:
Why did you choose to have those discs visible instead of hiding them under the trim?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is an awesome thing you did. I love the separation between the front and the back with the curtain. Two questions though....

1. Is there anywhere else I can get that line? Or will another steady line suffice?

2. Where did you get the curtain? I would like the same one.

Sick setup you have, man.
__

Not sure where else you can get the line because it was made by ikea. I'm sure there are other solutions but this is the best I found.

I got the curtain at joann fabric.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No front curtain to cover up the windshield but I do have a aluminum foil thingy that I put on the front window on sunny days to prevent my car from heating up.

I'm 5'6" (or maybe 5'7") and my feed don't stick out past the curtain lying flat on my back. I think you can probably be up to 5'9" and sleep diagonally and have your feet not stuck out. There are probably other solutions that I didn't think about since I just designed it for myself..

So no front curtain to cover up the windshield/front windows? When you have the bed set up, can't the police see your feet sticking out from behind the curtain? I love IKEA mods.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been using my palm pre with magnets for several months now and no problem. Works really well!

Magnet + hard drives = almost certain death.

I'm assuming your phone doesn't have a micro hard drive - seems many portable devises can be ruined by even the smallest of magnets. There are plenty of horror stories in the iPod forums about folks purchasing these very same magnetic accessory holders and toasting their older iPods.

Just be careful what you attach!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great idea - I didn't think of that. My designs are pretty simple because I'm not that good with making mods to the car, drilling, etc... Are those trim's pretty easy to remove? I think I'd like to do that. I just used double sided tapes on the disks so I think I can still remove it..

Great job with the mod, Rishio.

Question:
Why did you choose to have those discs visible instead of hiding them under the trim?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's a great idea - I didn't think of that. My designs are pretty simple because I'm not that good with making mods to the car, drilling, etc... Are those trim's pretty easy to remove? I think I'd like to do that. I just used double sided tapes on the disks so I think I can still remove it..
I am pretty sure the trims are relatively easy to remove. I will check my manual when I get home later tonight. The manual I have is for the 04, but the trim removal process will probably be very similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used the exact same curtain line for the Tiki Bar in my garage. It was the only thing that could cover such an expanse of dead space.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Rishio:

Here is the instructions for removing the trim on an 04 E (manual is for 03-06 Elements). It looks simple. Please excuse the quality of the images, I took them using my iPhone. I hope you find this to be useful.

Steps 1 & 2:
IMG_0150.JPG

Step 3 & image:
IMG_0151.JPG

This is the instruction to remove the seat belt bolt referenced in step 1. Since your newer E has the seat belt in the seat back, you do not need this. I merely added it for reference.
IMG_0152.JPG

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I have a double function "magnet" in my E for my Pre. I installed a touchstone charger to the right of the shifter in mine. Works great. Holds the phone and charges while I drive. Win win situation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can you take a snapshot of this? I can't picture what you have done..

I have a double function "magnet" in my E for my Pre. I installed a touchstone charger to the right of the shifter in mine. Works great. Holds the phone and charges while I drive. Win win situation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot! I copied these images onto my computer and I'll work on next when I'm having my next boring day :)

Rishio:

Here is the instructions for removing the trim on an 04 E (manual is for 03-06 Elements). It looks simple. Please excuse the quality of the images, I took them using my iPhone. I hope you find this to be useful.

Steps 1 & 2:
View attachment 75358

Step 3 & image:
View attachment 75359

This is the instruction to remove the seat belt bolt referenced in step 1. Since your newer E has the seat belt in the seat back, you do not need this. I merely added it for reference.
View attachment 75360

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
can you take a snapshot of this? I can't picture what you have done..
I got an extra touchstone charger for my Pre (the round thing you can get that charges your pre by just setting it on it, no more plugging in) and just mounted it to the top right of the shifter. Drilled a hole right above it for the wire. Looks clean. I'll get some pics later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts