Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday, Fergus and I went out to look at a Kiwi Green E, just to look at the color. While we were there, we took a peek at some used E's on the lot. There was a 2003 SOP EX that was interesting. First, it had a "H5" decal on it. Fergus and I cracked up, the salesman didn't get it, until we explained it to him. Then I noticed a real jewel.

Tucked between the front seats was what appeared to be a closeable center console. The salesman was nice enough to open the E up so I could get a better look at it. It was basically a box with a lid, that the sides nearest each seat extended all the way down. It wedged between the seats and around the existing cup holder console. The maker had upholstered it with vinyl and interior upholstery fabric that made it just about match everything else.

The lid was padded and upholstered in the same fashion, making a big fat armrest that you could stick things in. I'd guess it was about 8 x 8 inches, and the height brought it up to a comfortable height for an arm rest.

Just wanted to share... because it was such a great idea and seems like a handy solution to the lack of places to stash things. :D

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Was it like this one?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
While we're on this topic, I noticed Best Buy has some things that could be modified. In the CD storage (wallet-type stuff) they have a couple "box" type storage deals that might be modified. And Target has a leatherette type of deal that might fit. It's nice in that the lid pulls "back" but it isn't internally divided up much.

Plus they have this for $13, which I couldn't see in the local store.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...788195-6496925?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00004TZDV

You might say it replaces a cupholder with an insulated cupholder.

Anyway, the two Target things could be taken out of the vehicle if you don't want to leave them in. With some velcro, they could probably be a "put it in when you need it" type of thing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
To big and bulky for me. Also notice the lighting. Why is it so dark? I would think they would make it lighter so you could see the detail better. It's like they're hiding something.
L.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I read some of the seller's feedback on eBay. They sell a lot of stuff but the reviews I found on this sounded good. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If anyone has one of these, I am wondering if it is long enough to support your whole arm, if the cupholders are large and strong enought o be useful, and if the height is identical to the stock armrest. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
im getting ready either this weekend or nest weekend to mold my own custom console it should look pretty nice its gonna have a 10inch sub and an ipod slot

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cole do you have the two xtra sunroofs installed? I would like to see more pictures of that. Look forward to seeing the completed console.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Empire said:
Was it like this one?

Exactly like that. :) Way cool!

Edit: Except that it didn't have the shiny metallic things in the front.

·
Registered
309 Posts
C-badMent said:
Cole do you have the two xtra sunroofs installed? I would like to see more pictures of that. Look forward to seeing the completed console.
i do nto have the sunroofs installed havent been able to muster up the money for that yet haha but the console may be delayed the guy who is doing it for me is in the hospital i hope hes ok

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I just put it in. The install consisted of removing the existing armrests, then sort of jamming this between the seats.

I think it raised the armrest about 2 inches. And I would have thought that moving the seats back and forth would dislodge it but it seems unaffected. No directions for installing cupholders, but they're actually adjustable. And yet if you place it far enough back, you can use the existing front cupholder without problem.

Kalinka, this might be an interesting solution for you b/c you can place it where you want. There's enough room under the console that you could place it farther forward and the parking brake will still clear.

I'll post some pictures tonight, provided I can find the cable to link the cam to the USB port.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Oops. I think I left the cable at work. So I have pictures...but can't get them on the site. So here's some narrative until I get that rounded up.

Materials, fit, finish, etc. Vinyl type material. Looks decent, seems reasonably thick and durable, but time will tell. The vinyl is a little loose here and there and the corners have some slack---"nipples" for lack of a better word---but it looks okay to me. The cupholder plastic is fairly thick, looks sturdy enough to do its job. The supplied screws aren't as long as I would have thought, but they're thicker than I expected.

Looks like they put two Stanley hinges on the lid, but the writing is too fine for these eyes.

I'm not particularly color-sensitive but aesthetically, it seems to match ok.

Installation: What installation? Once you get the armrests off, push it down in the gap. It takes a little force, but then, that's what makes it stay there.

OK actually, you are supposed to put the cupholders on. They didn't send directions---they sent the cupholders with four screws each. Driving screws through vinyl...we'll see. I may not bother...it's just me and my E and I still have the forward stock cupholder accessible.

Features: The emergency brake is totally free. When I unpacked the console, I took a photo showing a VHS tape standing *on end* under the (uninstalled) console. So even if you positioned it forward quite a bit, I don't think the e-brake would be a problem at all.

Also, connecting the seatbelt is fine.

My best estimate is that this raises the armrest 3 inches from stock. If you move the seatbelt receiver to the top of its arc, the rest surface is almost 6 inches above that.

The surface is 10.5 inches long, padded, and comfortable. You determine how much of your arm is supported by where you decide to place it. I have my seat all the way back and I positioned the unit back; I can still use the forward stock cupholder, so even if I attach both of the others, I can use that as storage. The rear stock cupholder is still accessible, but you have to reach back under just a bit (not a problem for a passenger), and you can still use the stock rear "tray" from the back I suppose.

The armrest/storage lid opens front to back, which I like better than side-to-side...f/b is as easy for a passenger to access as the driver.

Roughly 9.5 x 8.5 x 5 inside dimensions. Nice; I'll have to rig some type of internal divider for it however.

The cupholders have two pincer-like arms that "spread" along a ratcheted-type track to accomodate a larger drink. A 64 oz double gulp won't fit, but a 44 oz probably would. You can't flip them up with them spread out and they don't seem to fold quite flush in any configuration, but that's minor. You could probably attach the cupholders on the side facing the backseats if you wanted to. And I suppose you could do one front, one back.

One thing: Even if you put it all the way back, the holes left by the removed armrest still show. Stuff a sock in it? Velcro some material over them? I don't know.

Overall verdict: I think the money was well-spent.:-D

1 - 20 of 212 Posts