Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04. I noticed that the Element's intake system is rather elaborate and restrictive. So I decided to remove it and make my own intake system. I hope this inspires some other E owners not to blow $260. I tried to use quality parts, so this can probably be done cheaper. Here is a list of parts I used:

$25.00 - 2.75 Pipe off ebay
$52.00 - AEM DryFlow filter off ebay
$ 0.00 - 2.75 coupler (was just laying around)
$ 1.98 - 2 zipper clamps for the coupler
$ 0.79 - 3/8" threaded fitting
$ 0.00 - K&N crank case breather (just laying around) - [optional] $ 0.79 5/8" threaded fitting
$ 0.00 - 1" 3/8" ID heater hose (just laying around)
Total - $79.77

Pics:

Removed stock crap:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Parts Needed:

- 18" aluminum intercooler pipe, 2.75" diameter w/ 45 degree bend. Got it off ebay for $25 shipped. picture of pipe
- 2.75 silicon hose coupler $6 shipped off ebay
- 2 zipper clamps for the coupler $2
- AEM DryFlow air filter part # 21-202DK (2.75" x 5") $52 shipped off ebay
- 3/8" threaded fitting $0.79 from hardware store
- 5/8" threaded fitting (optional) $0.79 from hardware store
- K&N crank case breather filter (5/8" clamp would be best) <$15 off ebay (optional)
- 1" long peice of heater hose with 3/8" inside diameter <$1.00

To do this modification, you have to move the battery. What I did was removed the battery pedistal from underneath the battery, it's just 5 12mm bolts, three up top, two on the bottom. Then you can set the original plastic battery tray on the frame rail. It sits about halfway on at sort of at an angle. It isn't necessary, but I drilled two holes and used two very flat bolts to bolt the tray to the frame rail. The tray is so weak, I doubt this step made any difference in regitity. The battery will pretty much sit there on it's own. I used some zipties around the battery terminals to holes already in the sheet metal to secure it a little more. I was able to do all this without even disconnecting the battery. With the battery lowered about 5", it clears the path for the intake.

Next you will have to make the pipe. I ordered the pipe of ebay for $25 shipped, the seller also includes the coupler for an extra $6. I purchased a 3/8" threaded fitting from the hardware store, drilled a large enough hole in the pipe, and then just threaded the fitting in. This fitting is needed for one of the vacuum lines. You will also need to either add another 5/8" threading for the crank case breather, or you can use a filter like the K&N one I pictured. I used the K&N for now, but I plan to tap the 5/8" fitting once I can make another trip to the hardware store. Next you will need to make a grommet for the air temp sensor. What I did was drill a hole 5/8" in diameter. I made a grommet using 3/8" ID heater hose. You basically just cut a groove all the way around the hose, I used a hand saw and just carefully cut the grove. Then smooshed the hose into the 5/8" hole to make a grommet for the sensor. An alternative is to put a hole in the intake filter, and jam it in there, but you will have to extend the wires because it won't reach.

Next I removed the stupid looking metal pipe thing that used to go to the crank case. Simply just loop the coolant hose. (see below photo)

Some other pics to help you out:

K&N filter

Battery location

Intake Temp sensor location

Vacuum line for PCV i think (3/8" fitting)

Looped coolant hose

Stupid looking metal thing

·
Registered
557 Posts
Intriguing. It looks nice. I made mine with the spectre system the first go-around, which was cool cause you could route the piping and filters wherever you wanted. This is a way clean setup.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank guys! I have decided I am going to build a DIY relocated battery tray in the future. I will post that when I get to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts