Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x OK, I've gotten really frustrated trying to find places to put my sub and amp in my E. I've never had a custom fiberglass enclosure put in any of my vehicles for my sound system, but I think this may be the best solution. I took my E to a local audio installer and they quoted me $700 to create a sub enclosure that would replace the center console area where the factory sub is located, and a custom amp rack that would fit on the passenger side rear wall above the pocket. Both pieces would be covered in gray vinyl and really look like they are a part of the truck.

My question is to anyone who has had experience with fiberglass installs... Is this a reasonable price for a job like this, or should I look elsewhere? Anyone on this board do custom installs that would like some business?

Thanks for any info you can give

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:042ad3c930="HEGG"]:x OK, I've gotten really frustrated trying to find places to put my sub and amp in my E. I've never had a custom fiberglass enclosure put in any of my vehicles for my sound system, but I think this may be the best solution. I took my E to a local audio installer and they quoted me $700 to create a sub enclosure that would replace the center console area where the factory sub is located, and a custom amp rack that would fit on the passenger side rear wall above the pocket. Both pieces would be covered in gray vinyl and really look like they are a part of the truck.

My question is to anyone who has had experience with fiberglass installs... Is this a reasonable price for a job like this, or should I look elsewhere? Anyone on this board do custom installs that would like some business?

Thanks for any info you can give[/quote:042ad3c930]

Custom fiberglass is labor intensive work. Plus the materials are not very cheap either. I'd say that $700 is a very reasonable price for two pieces.

That being said, you dont necessarily have to build custom stuff to get good sound in the E or hide most of the components well.

You can fit a small 2 channel amp in the existing sub enclosure if you remove the sub box thats in there already if you have an EX.

And you can fit another 2 channel amp under the driver or passenger seat if you trim down the plastic that molds around the heater ducts a bit. This will not interfere with the ducts themselves or proper amp cooling in any way.

You can fit a sub in a nice enclosure like this one:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip, but...

I already own the amp and sub... I pulled it out of my trade-in before getting the E, and really would like to keep the equipment I have.

I usually do all my own install work, but have never dealt with fiberglass.

My system consists of the following:
Kicker L7 10" Dual Voice Coil Sub
Kicker KX 600.1 600Watt Mono Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Capicitor
Kenwood Excelon KEC811 Head Unit
Kenwood Excelon Music Keg (10gigs+ of MP3/Ogg files)
4 JBL 6.5" Two Way Speakers
2 Polk 1" Tweaters

The frustrating thing is I had all of this installed in a convertible before. Now that I own something with considerably more cargo room, I can't seem to find a good spot for the amp/box without impairing the functionality of the E. :roll: I've already installed the Music Keg beneath the drivers seat, and removed the factory sub enclosure.

When I finally do get all my stuff installed I will be sure to take pictures to share with everyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, nice job Nate. The box looks pretty good. Where did you mount your amp? Any thoughts on whether your going to reclaim some cupholders. Did you have to remove the cup holder console from the floor, or did you just set the box on top?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I mounted the amp under the passenger side. There is more room on the drivers for an amp. I took out the console. Just snaps out. The box replaces it. The box is 0.6 cubic feet. I might do cup holders on the front of the box, not sure yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.