Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of replacing the factory audio system with new equipment (that will be another thread), and wanted to share one of the mod's i've done so far.

My new deck (A Pioneer DVD-4400BH) came with a Bluetooth feature and a small hands free microphone for it.
The stock mic had a little clip to attach it to a sunvisor, or stick it on the dash somewhere, but hey, are we not modders?

I started thinking of a way to put into the headliner some place but couldn't find a way to make it look like "factory", so I put it off for a week while I had to leave town on a business trip.

I had to get a rental car from the airport to get to my meeting and got an upgrade to a 2013 Ford Edge (nice truck, but it's no Element) , I looked up and saw a little grille that had the factory Sync mic in it and the light went off above my head.

Got home and ordered the part from Ford #19A391 (its the same one they use for all of their cars it seems) they had a grey colored one that was almost an exact match to the Titanium interior color of my SC, cost was $29.99, but that included the Ford microphone, I was able to sweet talk the parts guy into selling me just the bezel for $8.00.

So here is a step by step of my install...Enjoy :)

Removing the stock Pioneer mic from the plastic holder. I used a razor knife and a pair of wire cutters to slowly cut away the holder.

929.jpg

The Ford Sync mic grille.

930.jpg

931.jpg

Test fitting the mic into the grille...It sat sideways, so I removed the foam from around the mic and unknoted the wire so I could turn the mic to face the opening of the grille.

932.jpg

933.jpg

I then used some foam out of an old camera bag I had to hold the mic into the grille, it was a combo of closed cell foam on the back with an open cell glued to the front.

935.jpg

TBC next post

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Custom hands free mic install part 2

I used an Xtac-to knife to carve a little hole so the mic could "sit" in the foam and a spot for the wire to sit into as well.

936.jpg

937.jpg

938.jpg

939.jpg

Fitted into the grille, I cut the foam a little large so that it stayed in place with just friction.

940.jpg

A little tape (Scotch Super 88 ) to hold everything in place.

TBC next post.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Custom hands free mic install part 3

I made a cutting placement guide out of some paintmask stencil vinyl I use for my paintwork.

941.jpg

Played with different locations for the mic, this seemed the best for A; Flat location, and B; Best audio pick-up range.

942.jpg

No going back now! ;-) Used an Xact-o knife with a new blade to make the cut.

943.jpg

944.jpg

First test fit...I had cut the hole a little small, and then made adjustments to get a snug fit.

945.jpg

946.jpg

TBC next post.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Custom hands free mic install part 4

Securing the mic wire to the A-pillar with more tape.

947.jpg

The finished project! Looks like it came from the factory.

948.jpg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That is awesome! I've been trying to come up with a way to put my mic up there in a discreet OEM type fashion. Right now it is attached to my GPS bracket at the dashboard. I think this work out real well.

Thanks for the idea. I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" it! :grin:

Do you have a part number for the grille piece? :)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks!
And of course you can use it! Thats why I posted it, to help pay forward all the great mods I'm "borrowing" from everyone else.

Ford part #19A391 that gets you the generic Sync microphone, from there you just pick the color of the bezel. Cost is $29.99 but that is because it comes with the stock Ford microphone. I was able to talk the parts guy into selling me just the bezel for $8.00, but your experiance might be different.

You my be able to use the stock microphone with a cut and spilce (its only 2 wires) if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
post edited, see my reply to you above. :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Wow, that is very cool! Nice job on the install and great write up.
Drew

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job! Thanks for sharing. Awhile back I thought of doing something quite similar using a tweeter grille.

Thanks!

Messing around with a late model Mustang grille with the centered fog lights for the lower front grille on my SC, will post up when I figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is the sound quality? Lots of folks saying the drive noise in the E effects call quality for those on the other end. I wonder if your placement helps, or still the same? Awesome job in any case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts