Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this roof rack? I'm still not completely done yet. The reason for me to make this custom rack was of course to save some money, but the main purpose is to create one that does not block the sunroof view, since I have the panorama and oem rear sunroof... I can't see any of the bars from inside the car through the glass panels. It is made from aluminum bars. Its not the strongest material out there, but I only need them for occasional 4 X 8 sheet of wood...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Awesome job!

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Looks really good!! I like how you followed the roof line of the E.
That adds that custom look, like it was made just for you and your E!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yea, we're gonna need to see some more detailed pictures and get more info on materials, build steps, etc...

You can't spring something like this on the club with a lot more deets. OUT WITH IT MAN!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Awesome job, I'm jealous.

+1 for MORE DETAILS!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the compliments...
Here are a few more shots...

Fit testing, unpainted...

Fit testing, unpainted...

Hole on the rear side...

Fit testing for the support...

Threaded bar installed and secured on the hole... silicone used to make sure no leaks...

Another view of the hole with the support bar secured...

Roof rack painted with rubber/plastic paint bought from Lowe's...

Closed up view of the crossbar connection...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

First lumber on the roof...

Holes on the bar still not done yet... I'm planning to use rubber plugs...

Closed up view of one of the hole with silicone...

Another view...

The crossbars were connected to the side bars using threaded bars secured from side to side using bolts... sorry I didn't take that much photos... once into the job... I just keep doing it and forgot to take more shots...
I'm still not sure what I should do with the end of the bars. I was thinking of putting an end caps, but got an idea of putting end cap with reflectors... not sure yet...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I forgot to mention that I bent the aluminum on both side bars manually by hand... its not easy but doable since its long. I have to keep bending and putting on the roof of the car to get the perfect bends. Still not 100% perfect, but I think its ok now...

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Nice write-up! Only thing I'm not clear on is how you are attaching the front and rear tower bolts. I see your pics of the threaded stock, washers, and nuts, but how are you modifying this stock to attach under the cladding???

It looks extremely professional! Super job!!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once I drill the hole in the cladding, you can see the steel body of the car. Then I drill the body for the threaded rod to go in, then from inside the headliner, I use the bolt to secure the rod. Also I secure the top of the car. So basically the roof is sandwich between two bolts. It shouldn't go anywhere unless the roof is torn apart. I did use double bolts to make sure it doesn't unloose itself. On top of that, I added silicone to water proof the job. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Worst case, if I want to get rid of the roof rack, I can just replace the claddings. Shouldn't be too expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I'm too much of a wuss to drill all the way through my roof, but your rack looks like it's worth it. Again nice work!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no welds at all...I'm still not into welding yet. The crossbars were secured using threaded rods inside the tube. Sanded and silicone before painted. Can I actually weld aluminum?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
There's no welds at all...I'm still not into welding yet. The crossbars were secured using threaded rods inside the tube. Sanded and silicone before painted. Can I actually weld aluminum?
Yes you can!!! You need a TIG welder. A few lessons, and you are good to go!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's good to know... If I have time... I'll try to research more and learn welding...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes you can!!! You need a TIG welder. A few lessons, and you are good to go!
You can weld Au with MIG as well, just need the right wire. I believe you need to run gas as well since Au wire isn't self-shielding. You won't get welds as clean as TIG but that's nothing a little grinding can't fix.

I'm still getting my legs with MIG but I know guys who weld Au with MIG when they either don't have TIG handy or don't care about how the weld looks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts