Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look, I’m a damn near 60 y/o woman - my knowledge of mechanical things is from years of owning various POS. So I thought I’d put this out here before I call a shop to come pick it up.
OK, I went to have two tires put on the front of my 2004 element yesterday. I thought I heard a weird noise after I pulled out but when I drove down a quieter street I didn’t hear it. Today I get in the truck, get about a half a mile down the road and start hearing a loud thumping. Turn around immediately, come back home, my sister got under the truck with the phone and made a video. This is what she found. 😳
Automotive tire Material property Font Circle Jewellery
Automotive tire Material property Font Circle Jewellery

Just to be clear, there was no noise or indication of anything wrong in the front end other than excessive front tire wear before the tires were changed out yesterday.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Picture indicates normal wear. CV boots don't last forever, and axle issues can make noise but not tire wear. Tire wear is usually ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings. A loud thumping says loose lug nuts. Be careful. Check lug nuts before driving anywhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Id personally get the axle replaced for the torn boot and an alignment because of excessive tire wear. If you’re taking it to someone, might as well have them look over the rest of your suspension components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Picture indicates normal wear. CV boots don't last forever, and axle issues can make noise but not tire wear. Tire wear is usually ball joints, tie rod ends and control arm bushings. A loud thumping says loose lug nuts. Be careful. Check lug nuts before driving anywhere.
Are the metal shavings normal?

That’s weird, when the guy was replacing the wheel it sounded like his impact was messed up. It was making a whirring noise instead of the normal clacking sound. I’ll check those lug nuts first thing tomorrow.
Also, I didn’t mention that my Element only has 128k. It’s VERY low mileage for its age.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look, I’m a damn near 60 y/o woman - my knowledge of mechanical things is from years of owning various POS. So I thought I’d put this out here before I call a shop to come pick it up.
OK, I went to have two tires put on the front of my 2004 element yesterday. I thought I heard a weird noise after I pulled out but when I drove down a quieter street I didn’t hear it. Today I get in the truck, get about a half a mile down the road and start hearing a loud thumping. Turn around immediately, come back home, my sister got under the truck with the phone and made a video. This is what she found. 😳 View attachment 212069 View attachment 212069

Just to be clear, there was no noise or indication of anything wrong in the front end other than excessive front tire wear before the tires were changed out yesterday.
This seems to be a case of the boot clamp breaking and then cutting the boot when it spun off?

I recently experienced a similar issue after a bit of lift work at a garage. It would be worth a look at the other clamps (and lower hoses like rad).

Cause and effect are complicated… best of luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
potentially repairable, if you're lucky all it needs is a new boot but depends on inspecting the innards. I have an extra outer boot kit if you want it, for cost of shipping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts